Excellent photos of Yellowstone in Winter

dan_south

<p>I stop by Luminous Landscape from time to time to see if they're featuring anything interesting. Today, that effort was rewarded with a very special treat. These photos of Yellowstone in Winter are stunning. Congrats to the photographer, Nigel Turner, for enduring the bitter cold to bring us these lovely images.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/yellowstone_in_winter.shtml">Nigel Turner's Photos of Yellowstone in Winter</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nigel's a good photographer and I was on one of his early workshops I think seventeen years ago. Unlike some tour leaders I could mention, he will always if at all possible get you out there for sunrise, and keep you out there till the day's gone. Used to make the odd appearance on Photo.net if I remember right.</p>

<p>Great photos. I love visiting Yellowstone in winter. One way to visit, in addition to taking a snow coach to the Snow Lodge at Old Faithful, is to wait for the road from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful to open in April and drive in. Typically, there is still plenty of snow left to cross-country ski or snowshoe on. I have made several cross-country ski trips to Lone Star geyser and other locations this way. One downside is that bears may be starting to wake from hibernation about this time, so caution, as well as carrying bear spray, are recommended.</p><div>00cztf-553074484.jpg.e06ae7a1c77a407dff07a19dc3359a48.jpg</div>