Exakta VX

<p>Decided that it was time that I wrestled with my Exakta Varex, a camera that I always have mixed feelings about.<br>

The early Exaktas really shout classic to me, lots of chrome, quite distinctive looks, and enough dials to keep everyone happy. The problem arises when you pick it up to use it...everything is back to front! Some really like the ergonomics, but I just can't get to grips with it. None the less, I still love these cameras, and I persist in their use, no pain, no gain.<br>

The thing that prompted me to try it again was the acquisition of the prism finder, which does darken the image but makes handling much better, especially when shooting vertical<br>

I always think that the best standard lens here is the Biotar!, although I do have a Xenon and the ubiquitous Tessar. Something that keeps drawing me back to the Biotar...always a wonderful IQ. Problem is finding one that has no internal haze and a focus that still moves!<br>

All the pics here were shot with a preset Biotar, which is just marked Jena, the trademark problems have removed all hint of Biotar.<br>

First up the camera.</p>

<p> </p><div>00cJn3-544920884.jpg.36f336a6e084eb72ded37aff90d6b8df.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for looking. All shots with the F2 58mm Biotar and the Ihagee lens hood and B+W yellow filter. Film is usual Tri-X in Pyrocat...scanned on an Epsom V750.<br>

Also just received an Exakta RTL 1000, which is not really an Exakta but a Praktica I think, and it came with a 30mm Meyer Lydith which I'm yet to try....anyone have any experience with this lens?</p>

<p>If you had started out on an Exakta when it was the first "real" SLR (Cпорт advocates need not write), then everything else would be "backwards." :)<br>

Nice work with a camera that I find more natural, the more I use it. As, for the Biotar, well it's my beau ideal lens.</p>

<p>Although my initial interest in the old Ossies was with KW and Zeiss, I have a great fond spot for Ihagee, too. My favorite VX (as the Varex was in the USA for trademark reasons) is the one I "<a href="/classic-cameras-forum/00NSzV">recovered</a>".</p><div>00cJni-544922884.jpg.a8d5542af91ece40907cbc59f7718885.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice; it is my most favourite camera. I now have almost the whole series except for the Exakta II. I learnt to repair and restore these from Miles Upton's book. Have restored a few from the grave! It is a great pleasure tinkering with the mechanical subsystems of this VX series. I also noticed that the older ones are made more sturdy. I don't have a Biotar [except for the Helios in M42 mount]; but I have a few Pancolars [of a similar double Gauss design]. I think they are equally good.<br>

Regarding the Meyer Lydith 30mm, it came only in the old stop down version. I think it is an excellent lens. Rick Drawbridge posted some pics recently from his Exakta. I have also posted earlier from my Praktica. Would love to see more from your Exakta.<br>

The Exakta RTL was the prototype Fore-runner of the Praktica L-series. It was designed, apparently by Ihagee and Pentacon together. By the time they started marketing the RTL the US Court had awarded the patent in favour of the Steenbergen heirs in the US. Thus, Pentacon decided to emphasize the Praktica L-series and dropped the Exakta brand name. They had a stable market for the Prakticas in the UK, the Netherlands and Europe in general. Best wishes, sp.</p>

<p>Lovely series as usual Tony. That Jena seems to be a nice lens, sharp and contrasty. If I had to pick a favorite picture it would be a tie between "early morning fishing" and "yacht reflections." Both are lovely. I've not yet acquired an Exacta, but I've been tempted. Your post is not helping me with my current bout of GAS. :-)</p>