Exakta V on Neighborhood

<p>I bought this Exakta V from a seller in Greece. It was missing the tripod anchor and the leatherette in the back cover. A few other things like a missing take up spool, and a rewind crank key that falls off the joint.<br>

I used a Kodak spool and cut it to size and fixed it. The spool for this model is shorter in length than the ones for the VX models. Also, the back door is not hinged and comes off, much like the old Praktica FX types. I fixed new vinyl for the back cover. Adjusted/expanded the key forks so the key will not fall off.<br>

The film gate plate also comes off, similar to that in Praktica Novas. When you take that out you can lubricate the curtain spindles without major disassembly. So I lubricated the spindle bushes. This feature is common since the Kine-Exakta. They changed it when they introduced the VX models. Everything seemed to work well; it was time to test it with film on a rainy dark [NE] Monsoon day.<br>

Unfortunately, my digital camera is not working. Sorry, I am unable to post the camera pictures. Shall try soon.<br>

I used a Meyer Domiplan lens. It is fully functional with quickly returning aperture. So it was a pleasure taking it around. Though many people feel that the Exaktas are difficult to operate I have had a good feeling about them. They are still my favourites.<br>

Here are some samples taken in Monsoon dark light, using ORWO UN 34 film developed in my home brew. I have focused on the new businesses that have sprung in our neighborhood.</p>

<div>00cxTF-552568084.jpg.4778fa33654139868ea12ff8b468c8e8.jpg</div>

<p>This is the famous Royal Enfield motor bike. It used to be made in England by the Enfield Rifle Company. Post WWII a firm from madras bought this over and were making this. Recently, Eicher Motors have bought the Madras firm and are making some newer models. They are also exporting the same to the UK, US and other countries.</p><div>00cxTI-552568184.jpg.19e61748aaf43ac21c3082d418cfab41.jpg</div>

<p>Lasik surgery is becoming common these days, all within the past five years. That was a small round up of the neighbor hood. I shall soon venture into other parts of the city. I hope you enjoy this series. Thanks for viewing. The Domiplan did well, I think. I recall that in the 1960s the Domiplan was the basic offering with the Exaktas and Exas. SP.</p>

<p>Fascinating images, and good to hear you still working your restoration magic. I did some shots with a Domiplan on my VX1000 a while back and found it surprisingly sharp and contrasty. I still haven't got around to using the Pancolar lens which came with it, and somehow survived my attempts to fix it. Thanks for posting.</p><div>00cxV1-552572784.jpg.25b578cfbcdba597ab07473095c5bcb5.jpg</div>

<p>Fascinating, as ever,<strong> SP</strong>. So far as triplets go, I find the Domiplan an excellent little lens, though I have several that don't "go" any more, with the usual mechanical failures. The Exacta V is a joy to use, once one has mastered all the fiddly bits, though I have to say that I prefer the diminutive Exas. Your photographs capture the great economic and cultural transitions that are taking place in your country. "New Zealand Natural" is an international franchise selling NZ icecream, so your photograph could well depict the real thing. Thanks for another informative and very pictorial post.</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Paul; </strong>I have learned over the years that there is more fun and pleasure in bringing to life an old camera than in buying a new one. In the 1960s I was also naive and bought some new ones. I have done similar renewal work with old buildings, old Jeeps and cars. I only wish I had some better equipment and a small workshop. Thanks <strong>Robert G</strong>; <strong>John, </strong>that is a really sharp picture. My Domiplans with Exakta mount appear to be better made mechanically than the M42 thread mounted one, though optically they are equal. You will love the Pancolar at any aperture. Thanks <strong>JDM; </strong>the Exakta V is not very different from the Exakta II. Possibly there are some minor internal changes. Nice add there; you must have a huge collection! <strong>Stephen, </strong>I evolved the brew over period of one year and some 30 strips of experimentation. I buy the chemicals from X-Ray suppliers in 9 litre packs. My formula was evolved by dilution to some thing similar to that of Microdol-X. I add some common table salt, as suggested by Steve Anchell's <strong>Dark Room Cook Book. </strong>I believe the salt increases ionization. I use a dilute solution to develop for 12 to 13 minutes; just a one-shot with no re-use. In the concentrate I add a tablet or two of <strong>Dispirin</strong> as a preservative. <strong>Rick, </strong>you are probably right about the franchise. I shall check on that with the people who manage the store. I still have not tried much of OOFs with the Domiplan. Should try soon. Thanks everyone. SP.</p>

<p>Memory stirrer of the Royal Enfield showroom! I always thought, and still do perhaps, the Bullet is a beauty and the Constellation the most magnificent of all. Back in the day when the wind could blow my hair into my eyes-before we were obliged to wear helmets- I had a 350 Bullet and a 250 Crusader, but now I have neither hair nor motorcycles!</p>

<p>Thanks for posting and it's good to think Enfield are going from strength to strength.</p>

<p>I had a VX back in the 80s; I found it futsy but a fun camera--you have to think a lot. The Pancolar prime lens was not very sharp and had lots of flare, so I used a little Zeiss 50/3.5, which was pleasing. <br>

We had an Enfield dealer here in Minneapolis a few years ago and I went to have a look and test ride. They are a real throwback to the 50s and 60s nostalgia, primitive and harsh riding compared to today's technology, but a fun little bike for about $4,500 brand new. </p>

<p>BTW, I think you're right about the Domiplan aperture mechanism (being what fails most often) is better on the Exakta mount than M42.<br>

It's otherwise a decent, if not exactly outstanding, lens.</p>

<p>I always look forward to your neighborhood walks. Especially as the arctic air comes down to us here in the Gulf Coastal Plain (-4 degrees C right now). As I've often said before, I think, your pictures "warm" me.</p>

<p>They look crisp enough to me SP, you certainly know how to get the best from these cameras. I still have a problem with the operation of the Exaktas, but I still love them for their uniqueness...great looking cameras!<br>

I am struck by how Westernized, for want of a better word, that your home town is becoming....how do you feel about that?</p>

<p>Thank you <strong>Chuck, </strong>have more coming soon. <strong>Tony, </strong>your question got me thinking and responding. My feelings are positive and optimistic in the long run. here are some detailed thoughts.<br>

I shall try answering your question in small capsules. <strong>(1)</strong> Yes, the <strong>world is becoming</strong> <strong>homogenized</strong>; the industrial processes, the materials, the energy sources used and the education and training of craftsmen, professionals are all the same. Some early visitors to the US from India in the 1950s used to say “oh, all the US Cities look the same.” It certainly happened after the Frontier West changed. <strong>(2)</strong> <strong>Anthropologically</strong>, processes and roles are said to determine the outcome. Today’s industrial processes are almost universal and the role players are similar worldwide. Milton Singer wrote <strong>When a Great Tradition Modernizes </strong>in the 1960s about Madras. That was the transition phase. Today the Great Tradition landscapes are vanishing. <strong>(3)</strong> <strong>Socio-economically</strong>, the rise of the middle class is making changes in all things, including commuting patterns and demand for transportation, work places, flexibility, time sharing and even eating habits. Many in the new Techie and executive class eat out and cook less at home. More junk food outlets are opening up. The old idiom of the household, identified around the hearth, seems to diminish in this demographic layer. It is resulting in health problems of the digestive tracts, diabetes, etc. So, more clinics to help these people. Ortega Y Gasset wrote <strong>The Coming of the Masses</strong> long ago about Europe forecasting similar changes.<strong>(4)</strong> <strong>Technologically</strong>, cities, towns are built of mostly in Steel and Concrete. Traditional materials like clay tiles and bricks are made now in big industrial organizations and used in premium décor. Timber is scarce, so are many traditional items. Even coir, reed for mats etc., have become premium items. <strong>(5)</strong> These are <strong>showing in every walk of life</strong>. Potato chips are made by Pepsico on a large scale. Most local bottled drink makers have sold out to the MNCs, Pepsico and CocaCola. As a consolation one of our own IIM Calacutta graduates is the CEO of Pepsico. There is a herb root called <em>Vetti Ver</em> in Tamil. It has very fine perfume. The British used to make a delicate perfume out of that and sell. Today that has vanished due to over exploitation; neither adequate supply to Britain nor local traditional makes are available.<strong> <br /></strong><br>

<strong>JDM</strong> may have interesting observations on these, a lot better than mine. I think that these changes are inevitable. In the long run newer forms may emerge based on human innovation and available resources. Becoming an essay; I better stop this, here. Thanks. sp.</p>