Exakta V Disassembly, help needed

ricklb55

I recently acquired an Exakta V, serial number 681145. I am attempting to disassemble to perform a clean and lube. I am stuck at the removal of the rewind button - see red circled item in pictures. This button must be removed to access and remove the rewind idler gear shaft, otherwise the camera's shell cannot be separated from the chassis. This rewind button will not pull off. Nothing visible is obstructing it and I have applied quite a bit of force. It moves up and down freely in its normal function. It feels like something is holding it in place but I cannot find that something. I have Miles Upton's Ultimate Exakta Repair but his book is based on the VXIIa version and that version uses a simpler rewind button that just pulls off. I have done a clean and lube on four other Exakta Varex cameras but this is my first V, and that darn rewind button has me stumped. Any advice?

In the images below the top image shows the button engaged to allow film rewind, the bottom picture shows the button in its normal operating position.

Rick

Exakta_0305.thumb.jpg.1d2ebd14ce82f984b28b042bd6885ab8.jpg Exakta_0306.thumb.jpg.0cce5d626f9a368bddd64acaadfedc7c.jpg

Hi Rick ! It has been some time since I meddled with the Exaktas. So my memory is not very good. I do not recall anything holding back the rewind button lever in Exakta V. I do recall a flat head screw mounted on a spring that goes in from the top plate into the rewind idler and holds in place. This screw is just below the button that you have shown in the picture. One has to remove that screw carefully [the spring will shoot it off; so hold it in a confined space] and the idler gear will come off. Then one can pull the chassis out gradually.

This is about my recall. I shall try and check with the camera and report to you if i find any more details. Some of the Exakta Vs came differently made. So let me see how my sample is.

Good luck. sp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...