Evidence for successor to D750?

john_stockdale2

<p>All of the mainstream retailers here in Australia price cameras like the Nikon digital SLRs at around the same price. The D750 is currently priced around $2700 (Australian dollars, not real dollars). One of the major chains, JB HiFi, has just dropped the price to $2090, so I bought one (I had been close to buying one at the old price). It is a very successful business, so they're not clearing stock to postpone a financial problem.<br>

Just curious, wondering if this could be interpreted as a sign that there is about to be a replacement model?</p>

<p>As an Australian who pays attention to these things; given that it's Christmas retail frenzy time I'd disregard a store discount right now as a sign of anything other than regular discounting cycle ie. stock has been on inventory for XX months and thus a push is required.</p>

<p>Sure, if Nikon's announcement history is to be heeded the D750 and D810 are coming up at some stage soon for replacement, however I would not necessarlily interpret a discount right now as a sign of a replacement model coming in the next couple of months. </p>

<p>However, if you need a body and the current D750 fits the bill then take the discount even if we are paying with Antipodean Pesos.</p>

<p>Nikon is kind of like Trump. No one has any clue what Nikon will do next. When I thought that they had given up on the cropped frame sports market, they introduced the D500. The next logical step would be a D750 replacement with a higher MP sensor. Because it's logical, it won't happen. I would like to add that almost all camera makers are under financial duress due to falling sales volumes. The capital budget is one of the first cost categories to get reduced. Expect a longer time between models in the future. </p>

<p>After the D5 and D500, the next logical step is to replace the aging D810, which is a slightly improved D800 from 2012. I was quite sure that Nikon would introduce the successor to the D800/D810 at Photokina 2016, which was about 3 months ago. Clearly the D800 series deserves to have the AF module in the D5 and D500 and maybe an XQD card slot, plus other improvements.</p>

<p>I still feel that the D750 should be updated after the D810, but of course I could be wrong. In any case, the D810 and D750 are over two years old. Nikon has to discount them quite a bit to sell those "old" cameras now.</p>

<p>I think the D810 is likely to be updated next (in the FX lineup) as it doesn't yet have the radio based flash control that that the D5 and D500 support, or the Multi-CAM 20k AF module which would benefit the high resolution camera greatly. I very much like Nikon's implementation of radio control of flash and find it both practical and reliable. On the other hand the D810 is a very mature and refined camera and I think it is still fairly competitive. I think for portrait orientation photography of people, Multi-CAM 20k is particularly invaluable because it includes cross type points in the area where one would place the face in a vertical portrait of a full body or half body (cross type with most f/2.8 and many f/4 lenses). If Nikon drops the pop up flash, and takes advantage of some of the space freed to improve the viewfinder, I would be happy to upgrade. Having used the D5 now for a while, I feel the D810 viewfinder is a bit harder to use especially when one needs to see all corners with glasses on. I think the Df viewfinder is great and possibly removal of the pop-up flash would allow a similar implementation in the successor of the D810.</p>

<p>As the D750 is a compact FX body it is less likely to have enough space inside for a full Multi-CAM 20k, though I suppose Nikon may consider making a smaller version of the AF module like they did with the D750 (Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 "II"). I suspect there may be some consolidation of the FX lineup; it doesn't seem likely that the D610, Df, D750 will <em>all </em>be updated. I think adding UHS-II support to the D750's successor would make it more useful for action given the buffer limitations of this body in its current form (the D810 has a larger buffer). Radio based flash control should also be added. For me the D750's grip is too narrow and deep and I prefer the D810's grip. I personally would like to see an update to the Df with an improved AF system, but this camera seems to cause a lot of controversy.</p>

<p>I think the biggest argument is that an upgrade to the D750 is likely to be very competitive with the D810 - so there's an argument that the D810 will get updated first to make a "gap" into which the D750 replacement can slot. On the other hand, there's a question of which cameras are competing with which.<br />

<br />

At launch, the D750 was extremely competitive with the 5D3: the D800 was strong (resolution, dynamic range) where the 5D3 was weak and vice-versa (speed, video), with the D810 offering incremental improvements to the weak areas, whereas the D750's speed and low-light AF improvements make it, in my mind, a more direct competitior to the 5D3 - though it's more "consumer" build. Arguably the 5Ds[r] is more aimed at the D8x0 series, albeit without the dynamic range. The 5D4 keeps the speed and bumps the resolution and dynamic range while not quite matching the D8x0 on resolution; I now see it as much more competitive with the D750 than the 5D3 was. If Nikon feel the 5D4 is competing with the D810, they should upgrade that; if they feel they're losing D750 sales instead, that's the camera which should probably get an upgrade. Of course, the D750 is quite a bit cheaper.<br />

<br />

Anyway, I'm still hoping for a D810 successor in the not distant future, if probably too late for my January Yellowstone trip. Though I'd like some of the ideas list to get incorporated at the last minute, if possible. :-)<br />

<br />

My guess? A "D820" with a higher-res sensor (I'd prefer a sensor capable of native 8K time lapse like the A7R2's, but maybe Nikon will feel the need to spec jump the 5Ds) and hopefully better high-ISO performance (BSI/stacked sensor) and a Multi-CAM 20k and auto AF fine tune (everything else is optimism), after which a D750 successor might pick up a 36MP sensor if Nikon can tune the read-out speed to keep the frame rate; it may or may not get the Multi-CAM 20k. But I have an awful track record with guessing what Nikon will do.</p>

<p>Who ever said no one knows what Nikon will do next is right.<br>

Sometimes I wonder if they are listing to the public. Canon is far ahead in the pro market now.<br>

I'm very happy with my D750 and surprised how much better my images are than my D700.<br>

24mp is good enough for me. But if the Df were 24mp I might of gone in that direction. <br>

It's rumored that Nikon will release a 50mp body. Years back it was rumored that Nikon was releasing a larger sensor MX series like Leica did. <br>

They are all rumors. I have a feeling Nikon will introduce a new mirrorless body that accepts the present line of lenses. <br>

Nothing was hinted at during the NYC Photo Expo in October.<br>

Happy Holidays all (and start saving your money)!</p>

<p>I'm wondering where those weight savings would come from, if it the camera has the F mount and FX sensor, the size of the camera would be the same as that of a DSLR, and although removing the prism and mirror assembly would no doubt save some weight, you'd have to add the EVF (if you want one) and lots of batteries to power it. A bit more substantial weight savings can be made if a shorter flange distance and new lenses are used (short focal length primes can be smaller and lighter) but even so you'd have to account for the weight of the multi-battery charger that can charge 3-4 batteries at once so you can get through the next day. If the travel is just travel and having a camera with you instead of shooting a lot, then I could see how a few percent of the total weight of the kit could be saved. For me travel is usually for the purpose of photography and 1000 images per day on an active day is not unusual, so at least four batteries would be needed and a multi-battery charger for four. For more casual use this might work, if the main purpose of travel is something else than photography, or most of the time is spent in transport. However, I can't see myself buying an expensive camera for the purpose of not shooting. Now, if Nikon wants to make a more compact FX mirrorless which is genuinely smaller and lighter, it would need a new mount with shorter flange distance, and a lineup of new lenses. That is certainly doable but it would probably cause a lot of confusion in the buyers, and a struggle to find the resources to develop all the different lens lineups for different systems. Alternatively Nikon could make something like the Coolpix A, which is a genuinely compact camera with a DX sensor, but they seem to have fire sold and discontinued it. I always felt it was a very nice camera and more compact than the Fuji X100 series, but the autofocus seemed quite slow. If Nikon is to make a competitive large sensor mirrorless offering, they need to get the AF to work well first. Once they have that sorted out, and don't overprice the offering, they could get into the market. </p>