EVF and Polarizer

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by bob_cook, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Here's another EM-1 question Sorry for the two quick posts.
    I don't own a camera with an EVF. Can you see the effects of a polarizer in the viewfinder? Or, on the rear LCD screen?

2. in a word, yes (I have the Sony NEX-6). cb :)

3. Yes, the effects of a polarizer, as well as those of a lens cap, will be clearly displayed by the EVF/LCD.

4. Yes indeed. However, the EVF may 'gain-up' so you can still see what you are doing!

5. Thanks all.

6. And - the EVF (on the EM5) is pretty good at giving a clear view even with a 6-stop ND on the lens - much better than my D800 live view screen. So using the EM1/5 with polariser and/or NDs is a pleasure. However the ability to pull up shadow detail in a waterfall/dark rocks and vegetation scene is nothing like as good as with the D800 (as you'd expect).

7. Thanks John. That's good to know since I'm thinking I will need an ND filter to get the slow shutter speeds that I prefer for my water work. If I'm restricted from using small apertures, I'll probably need more than just my normal polarizer to get down to one second or longer times.

8. Even when I used my Wratten 87 which passes no visible light the EVF gives me an image as it sees by infra-red light and no human-visible light :) As far as I can tell from numerous occasionas AF works just the same by IR as visible light unlike when manually focusing a legacy lens and you look for the 'yellow line' to offset focus in film days.
    You will also find that if you wish you can set a legacy lens to the working aperture you wish to use and the EVF will give you a similar bright image to if the lens is wide open ...
    does mean you don't have limited DoF to help focus but saves fiddling with an A-M switch/slider after focusing which speeds things up :)