Event photography/dye subs

jim mucklin

I searched the site but couldn't find anything. I'm looking for recomendations for dye subs that you are using, or

reviews on them, I could only find some outdated stuff. I would like to start printing onsite at events and I'm looking

for recomendations for a machine up to 5x7 and one up to 8x10.

Also any recomendation on software to help the customer view and print. I'm using Nikon cameras and have PS

CS2 and Capture. Any help as far as your setup would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim -

Sony makes some nice ones...check them out.

The best advice I can give you is that is definitely a multi - person operation. At least one to shoot and one to edit / print. For weddings - the majority of brides / grooms that I deal with aren't interested in the speed of getting the prints, but more so in the overall quality. They want good well composed, corrected and edited (cleaned up) shots.

For sporting events - immeadacy is more important since sales are a spur of the moment thing, if a participant can see the results, a sale is more likely.

The price isn't cheap - You'd be looking at $1,000 plus for a setup -

Dave

Sony Snaplab is great. No computer needed. Prints up to 6x8. I have never had an event where they wanted 8x10's. The 8x10 dye subs are very expensive, slower than printing 5x7's, and media is about $1.30 a print.

Stick with 5x7. You can usually find a used Sony or Mitsubishi dye sub on Ebay for about $500-600.

Only get the roll fed styles, not sheet fed.

As mentioned, two people needed- one to take shots, one to print.

Usually the simpler system the better. Avoid using too many programs and trying to crop, etc. in the computer. Set up your camera so the color, cropping, etc. is just how you want it so all you have to do is click "print" with no external adjustments or editing.

Important to check both throughput for the printers and the cost of the consumables (paper and ribbon packs). Sony has a great 5x7 printer and at 35 square inches is more impressive than a 4x6 while still providing a high prints per hour rate.

It is also easy to find a wide range of folders for 5x7 prints from companies like Western Photo Packaging.

USB2 or Firewire interface is also highly desirable. Old days the SCSI printers were the fastest but Firewire is a close second.

We shoot a lot of events and we print a lot of 8x10's. If money is not an issue try the Kodak 9810 or the Sony UP GR700. Both printers print an 8x10 in 45 seconds or so. Both printers have built in cutters. The Kodak is easier to find at a discount. Both are priced around the same, which is $2800. The Sony weighs about 70 pounds and the Kodak is much less at 40 pounds.

We use both printers and my feeling is the Kodak color is more pleasing with less errors occuring. The weight difference is also nice.