Even more proof film is dying.

clinton_abe

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we plese stop poting the exact same crap everyday around here. Asimple look at unified view would show this topic is old and boring. If you have a question many of us will be happy to try and help but this

CRAP is getting old. Thank you , Grinder

Donald- I only post on this (Minolta) photo.net forum, but it's good to know that I am not the only one who tries to get the non-believers to realize the truth. If you don't like it, don't read the thread. The subject line is your hint that you're not going to like the post. I don't know what country you live in, but where I live, it's still a free country.

Anu- What you use is your decision, but it seems to me that Minolta users, or at least the ones on this forum, seem to be stuck in a time warp. They're still using equipment out of production for over thirty years. Is it any wonder that KM is in a dire financial situation as far as cameras are concerned.

Reminds me of Saturday Night Live when Franco died. For weeks afterward, their newscast included the announcement that Franco "is still dead."

Seriously, everyone knows film is in decline, nobody knows if there will still be film around in 20 years (or 5), so not much point going on about it. And I wouldn't have been surprised if digital didn't already account for 80% of Kodak's business.

Okay, Michael, just for you, I'll make a connection between my post and the Minolta forum-

"Minolta users, here's some bad news- it looks like Agfa will be closing up shop and their fine products will be no more. And I read that Kodak expects that by 2008, 80% of their business will come from digital. I hope that I'll be able to get film for my Maxxum 9. Either that or I'm hoping that KM will release a full sized sensor DSLR so I'll be able to use my collection of lenses the way Minolta designed them, instead of having to take into account the smaller size sensor. I don't care if it has Sony on the front.

Any one heard anything?"

See Mike, I tied everything together for you. Happy now?

If film is dead, then I suppose that makes me a necrophiliac, because my choice is to continue using a "dead" medium.

Why don't you all stop this incessant and stupid bickering. Channel this useless and wasted energy into taking pictures, not criticizing those who are different in philosophy than you!

I agree with the previous post. If your ego is stimulated by preaching what you see as the truth, then organized religion would be a better bet for you, probably pays more too!

A for digital vs. film, it is daft but like Bob says there are always newcomers to this site who take up the thread and have a go.

I was lying awake in bed last night thinking why I have collected 5 old film cameras, when one cheapo digital would have done the job.

For me the reasons are obvious. I owned a $50 digital camera, it died very quickly. Now I have cameras and lenses that are very well made and produce images which digital cannot, because I like to use very slow B+W film. For my purposes the film cameras are perfect, but if I could afford a good digital camera, I would use it as a lightmeter and for street snaps.

Film may die one day, just as the people who painted the rock art in Africa died thousands of years ago. However, the rock art is still there......

I found the subject of 'Hal' far more interesting recently.

<i>And I wouldn't have been surprised if digital didn't already account for 80% of Kodak's business. -- Stephen H</i><P>

A direct quote from <a href="http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/for5/200510191403DOWJONESDJONLINE001024_FORTUNE5.htm">this article</a> (Kodak's 3rd Quarter sales from <u>this year</u>):<P>

"Digital-product sales rose to $1.89 billion from $1.28 billion, while traditional film and camera sales declined to $1.66 billion from the $2.08 billion of last year. Digital earnings came to $10 million in the quarter."<P>

Looks like 53% to me.

<P>

<i>As long as there is demand there will be supply -- Uncle Goose</i><P>

Looks like, although it's definitely in decline, there is still plenty of demand. $1.66 BILLION for ONE quarter, for ONE company. Guess there are still lots of "non-believers" with their head stuck in the sand.<P>

Film is still a "cash cow" for EK.

Amazing how a simple statement can really stir up a big debate on this forum. I mean no one wants to talk about the KonicaMinolta KMB-1 camera bag that Shirish asked about a few days back. Is it the 'Subject Line' or the 'body of the post', which was based on recent news updates on dpreview.com, that raises such emotions.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.