EV Bracketing w/D80

neinlives

Hello everyone,

I would like to compose high dynamic range (HDR) images with my Nikon D80 and

understand that this will require me to capture three images with incremental EV

values (e.g., -2, -1, 0, +1, +2). The aperture must remain the same so as not to

alter the depth of field. This is easy enough to accomplish; I need only switch

the camera to aperture priority. But, as far the actual bracketing goes, is

there a way to program the camera so that it will, with one push of the shudder

release, capture five consecutive shots? It would be greatly appreciated if

someone could walk me through this start-to-finish, because I'm pretty confused

at this point.

--Michael

You need to set your camera to continuous mode and also press the shutter down until it has finished the three shots.

I think the D80 only does 3 shot auto bracketing if you want five shots. Then you would set auto bracketing to +1. Shoot your three. So now you have your -1,0,+1, set exposure compensation to +3, then you will get +2,+3,+4 then set compensation to -2. So now you have -2,3,-4, so in the end you have 9 pictures over a 9 ev value. -4,-3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3,+4 you can pick your five pictures or three to do your hdr.

ok I will try to answer you precisely. With the D80 you can only take 3 consecutive shots. You can bracket these of course. I would suggest 0ev and -2ev and +2 ev.

To set this in your camera do the following.

hold the small bracket button. (left hand side as you use the camera. just under the flash release button) at the same time turn the rear scroll wheel one click to the right. On your top screen you will see 3f. Still holding the bkt button turn the front scroll wheel all the way to the right untill your screen now says 2.0.

on the top of your camera now press the shutter mode button (right hand side above AF button)untill you see the continuous shooting icon at the top right of your screen.

Set to appature priority and you are away.

Just keep your finger on the shutter and you will take 3 shots with different exposures.

Hope this is what you needed

Sam - you could use three raw images and then separately adjust these on a PC in order top get a wide range.

Using the RAW (NEF) image has the advantage in that if you can take just 1 photo then you are guaranteed that all three images will be identical.

Paul, you can't get more dynamic range out of one raw file. Only way to get more range is to shoot at different EV values.

That being said you probably won't notice a big difference between 3 jpegs at -1,0,1, and one raw file, but you will notice a difference between one raw file and five jpegs or raw shots at -4,-2,0,+2,+4.