Europe gets 8 more K-x colors

r.t. dowling

<blockquote>

<p>. . . what market segment are they trying to attract with these colour choices?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>People who most likely are younger than we are. As the parent of a 12 year old girl, I think it's a ridiculously great marketing approach. $500 DSLRs from any brand are pretty much commodity items to non-gear freaks, and these colors may be the greatest differentiator among them. It's about time fun was brought back into cameras. Yahoo!</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Ian, I look forward to seeing pictures of your bashed-to-silver K-7. Agreed that most manly-men wouldn't go for some of those colors but I still think it's cool to have the choice and some of those--like the darker brown and darker matte gray--are IMO much less objectionable than the shiny silver one. If it helps bring a few sales that would otherwise to other makes, I say go for it. Also, I remember seeing more than a few classic SLRs like a K1000 or your ME with <a href="http://www.cameraleather.com/pentax/">garish green or red replacement leather</a> .</p>

<p>Personally, I don't really care about the camera color as long as it doesn't attract attention (to me). So I got my K-x in black. But if it sells more cameras and puts this fine device in more people's hands then I guess it's a good thing.<br>

Actually I kind of like the brown, but probably not enough to get one for the color!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Yikes. When non-black camera is ugly, it is very ugly, but when it is colourful, it is truly horrid.</p>

<p>I have always been partial to Pentax (although I don't currently own a Pentax camera), so I hope they sell a lot of these, but those colours are gouge-your-eyes-out ugly.</p>

<p>Jeremiah: <em>"Mike, I guess that they could have selected throwback colors. Anyone remember Avocado colored appliances?"</em></p>

<p>Grrr, more like throw-up colours. I do remember, and peach coloured ones, too. I took another look at the website and those would have actually fit right in along with ''beige", "chocolate" and "turquoise". I suppose I'm too conditioned or something, as I find it actually difficult to look at those DSLRs. This sort of thing has been done many times with point-and-shoots and, of course, phones, but for some reason it looks completely wrong on a 'real' camera.</p>

<p>I don't buy all my clothes in black.<br>

This sounds like a past Leica user forum I used to visit; any hint at change was howled down- well look at Leica rangefinders now.<br>

Colour is part of life, but then you don't have to buy a colour body if you don't want to.</p>

<p>The Japanese have gone crazy buying coloured versions of this camera.</p>