Escaping rear lens caps

Andrew Garrard

Hi all.

I've found that I have a problem with my rear lens caps coming loose while my lenses are in a bag. I think I'm attaching them reasonably firmly, but I find both Nikon and Sigma rear caps (and possibly Tamron too) like to escape - once every few trips I open my bag to find a body cap either loose on the lens or completely detached. This is obviously even worse than a front cap coming loose - it's not like I can add a UV filter to the back... I think I've even had this with one of the old push-on rear caps, although it's been a while. I'm assuming this can be treated as an F-mount-specific problem (for this forum) since it's the shape of the back of the lens that's causing trouble.

I wondered if I'm just being inept, and whether anyone had a better solution? I had a look for rear caps that lock onto the lens like the body does (which would seem the obvious trivial solution), but with the possible exception of a Gary Fong security solution (a bit overkill and apparently painful) I was struggling to find any. I guess I could try to buy some broken teleconverters...

No serious lens injuries yet, but it may only be a matter of time.

Ideas?

I guess cheap plastic extension tubes from Chinese vendors (Neewer, etc, or even unbranded ones) would be easier to source than broken TCs. For example i see a set of three unbranded tubes of various lengths for $12.39 with free shipping from USA on ebay.

Those and also "dumb" adapters from F-mount to mirrorless mounts. They're like $10 each.

I can believe it - although I think the ones I've used aren't that old. It may be ineptitude and, in the interests of not damaging anything, I'm not screwing them on tightly enough. Given that every Nikon lens will have a locking indent, it does seem a bit odd that I can't see a range of caps that have something that connects with it, though. A springy bit of plastic would do it...

I just did a quick search online and could not find a source for individual, short, cheap extension tubes. I like that idea, plus a glued-on cap, but I don't see how to do it inexpensively. I always put the rear end cap down in my lens bags, and I invested in (well, my wife bought me for father's day) a set of neoprene lens bags with cinch closures, which seem to hold caps on with more security. I've had rear caps come off too, but only when they're bouncing around loosely in a camera bag.
  • Like 1

If it's any consolation, Fuji and Konica caps are also rather prone to escaping. Micro 4/3 seem to stay put though. Never had any trouble with m42 screw mount either.

I agree, caps that lock on would be perfect, alas, only my Kiev/Contax caps do so (the locking mechanism is on the lens).

The cheapest I could find were something like this - which appears to be two F-mount components and variable screw-in tubes to go between (or not, for my requirements). I may have to get one and report back on whether the lens latch pin has a simple release - if it takes a lot to remove it, it'd be counterproductive.

I currently mostly find myself carrying things in a ThinkTank ShapeShifter - a bit wastefully, since I rarely don't have something in the collapsible camera compartment. I have the older one with only draw-string pockets. It does stop the caps going very far, but the fit isn't good enough to keep them on. I have an additional wrap for my D850 (because I'm paranoid about the touchscreen given that the plastic cover on my D810 is scratched), but it might get painful for every lens. If I use a larger bag things are usually packed tighter, but then I have other stuff rattling around. I don't like to think what a USB 3 cable from a card reader could do to a rear element.

I'll try base end down. The risk is that if it does come off that way round, the weight of the lens will be driving the rear element and (sometimes) aperture lever against the cap...

You'd think one of the big manufacturers would have thought of this. I have three styles of Nikon rear cap, and remember when Canon (I think) redesigned the body cap to stop dropping plastic fragments in the mirror box. Meanwhile Nikon seem to be leaving out the hot shoe covers from recent bodies, so maybe management have lost the love for small bits of plastic.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but this has become a bit of an issue with my rear caps lately. Some of them just don't tighten on the lens at all.

Thinking cap on - tightly - I propose that a small modification of the caps might be in order. I suspect that they need either 1) shimming to make them a tighter fit, or 2) the friction between cap and lens bayonet needs to be increased, or both.

This might be achieved by glueing a thickness of paper or thin foam to the contact rim of the cap. Black paper or foam would probably be the most aesthetically acceptable. However, I foresee that getting foam thin enough might be problematic.

Perhaps filing two or three rebates in the cap, just deep enough to leave room for some readily-available sticky-backed foam to sit just proud of the plastic. OTOH, a ring of black paper would be a lot less work.

I wondered about foaming the caps, but I'm a bit too worried about shedding. Most of my lenses aren't sealed at the back, and anything not stuck inside the lens would fall on the sensor. I'm probably just being paranoid from too many years wrangling cat hair, though. I'm tempted to wedge a little spring metal into a slot cut in a lens cap and use it as a clip, though.

I'm a bit too worried about shedding.

I think this is a very valid concern apropos any abradable material. A thought just occurred: How about modifying both the front a rear lens covers to work as a unit, with elastic in between, providing tension against both twisting and separation, as in a rifle scope "bikini-type" cover? <LINK> One could use a combination of Velcro, nylon webbing, and a small bit of elastic for tension. The Velcro would allow for a bit of adjustability, as well as easing quick removal.

• Like 2

I recall Nikon system bags with 3 F mounts, to hold lenses. The rear cap issues cure I am aware off, is placing lenses inside one's spare socks, to hold caps in place. Making a bag that leaves no space for a migrant rear cap would be an alternative.
  • Like 2

OK, a simple project for a seamstress or (what's the male form of "seamstress", seamster?). An arrangement of two cloth pockets, depth and diameter as appropriate to the objective and rear lens diameters, connected by elastic straps which terminate in hook-and-loop tabs. One size would fit most rear mounts, as they are consistent within a family. Objective end is selected as required for the particular lens, and the two are mated using the hook-and-loop tabs on the straps. These would not be terribly complex or expensive, would keep caps on both ends in place during transport, and be simple to install and remove.
  • Like 1

I recall Nikon system bags with 3 F mounts, to hold lenses.

I still have one of these, inherited from my Dad. The body retaining bracket works great for holding an FM or EL, but is useless for a modern DSLR. The bag itself is quite heavy, and offers very inefficient use of space, but secure!

Instead of (expensive) neoprene lens bags, my (cheapskate) solution was to get some of the insulated zip-fastening (at the top) fabric drink bottle/can holders available to attach to the handles of pushchairs/strollers. One lens in each, fitting tightly enough to prevent untoward movement of the lens, thus holding the rear cap in place, and even if it does work loose, the rear end of the lens is still resting in it. May also prevent elements misting up.
  • Like 1

I could double up wraps to be big enough - I use a Domke wrap on my camera body. They're a little slow to open and close, though (possibly easier on a lens than the camera). I think I found the Op/Tech ones - they didn't look like they actually have a pin for the lens locking detent, though, so I was unsure how much better they are. I wouldn't like to store lenses back to back - I don't really want the leverage to be able to cause damage, even if I could fit it in a bag. I was vaguely wondering about filing a ridge into the front and rear lens caps and just looping a rubber band over them.

After saying all that, I just found something called a "Fotover 52mm rear lens mount protection ring for Nikon AI AIG AI S AID with centre pinch lens cap" (this page is a bit confused - there's a 58mm Pentax version and a 52mm Nikon version; Amazon UK distinguished them, but I bought their whole stock so I can't link to the page). It looks like it's designed for reversing ring use, so you can add a filter - but it also comes with a front lens cap. Slightly less secure than a single-piece lump, but it costs the same as a Nikon rear lens cap and has a pin that engages the lens locking detent so hopefully it won't come loose. I can always tape the lens caps on. I'll report back.

I really think Nikon could have solved this problem with a slightly better bit of plastic moulding, though. I'll try to bring it up when I try to give them the survey. It's not a huge problem for me (nothing bad has detectably happened yet, and it only happens now and again) - but it does sound like everyone occasionally has the problem.

I've once mislaid a front cap on a trip, which worried me since I was far from home. Fortunately I managed to source a replacement before submitting my lens to airline travel. I do deliberately own a couple of spare rear caps and body caps, but I should be in the habit of carrying them with me. Usually I end up sitting on them, having learnt not to put them down in random places - I've yet to break a lens cap this way, but I did have a moment of wondering why my lens had very low contrast until I realised the cap had deposited pocket fluff over the front element. Every time I visit Capilano Suspension Bridge (I've been a few times) I expect to drop my 14-24 front cap over the edge, though. Friction fit scares me.

I have had the same experience as most of you have had with lens caps. Fortunately I rarely have had problems with camera body caps. I found that non Nikon lens caps were too loose. To resolve my loose cap issues, I just buy new Nikon ones from time to time. And like Mary, I always have some spares with me.
  • Like 2

The leverage/damage has never been an issue - the Leica set was first used by my Father for extensive world travel over decades, the Nikon set somewhat less. If the back to back idea doesn't suit your plan, instead of rubber bands, you might consider O rings - stable, inert, and available in a vast number of sizes.
  • Like 2

Likewise I've been okay for body caps - it may be they're lower profile and don't get nudged, or maybe the spring inside the mount (IIRC) holds them on.

I do have real Nikon caps, mostly, and they seem to give me as much trouble as the Tamrons and Sigmas - but maybe I'm applying them gently. I'll see how what I've ordered works - even if it just clicks to say I've turned far enough that might help.

I just found something called a "Fotover 52mm rear lens mount protection ring for Nikon AI AIG AI S AID with centre pinch lens cap" (this page is a bit confused - there's a 58mm Pentax version and a 52mm Nikon version; Amazon UK distinguished them, but I bought their whole stock so I can't link to the page). It looks like it's designed for reversing ring use, so you can add a filter - but it also comes with a front lens cap. Slightly less secure than a single-piece lump, but it costs the same as a Nikon rear lens cap and has a pin that engages the lens locking detent so hopefully it won't come loose. I can always tape the lens caps on. I'll report back.
Aging tape is a mess and far from sufficiently sticky. Bolt rivet or epoxy (maybe even with fibergalss mats). Anyhow: A nicely priced great find; thanks for sharing!
  • Like 1