ES-1 with a 55mm MF lens

pge

<p><br>

</p>

<p >I have read that the ES-1 is intended for use with the PK-13 and the 55mm f2.8.<br /> <br /> I am in Canada and when using ebay it is always best if possible to buy from local sellers to avoid border costs and delays. Right now there is Canadian ebay listing for a 55mm f3.5 and an M2 extension tube as a package.<br /> <br /> Would I be correct in thinking that all I have to do is "ai" the M2 extension tube and then the 55mm f3.5 + M2 = 55mm f2.8 + PK-13 for the purpose of using an ES-1 to digitize slides?<br /> <br /> I will be using my D800. I presently have two lenses that have macro functions, the 105mm f2.8 VR and the 35-70mm f2.8 in case any of that is relevant. My main interest is studio shooting so lighting is not an issue. I considered putting this in the Digital Darkroom forum but I decided to post it here as I am asking about Nikon equipment compatibility.</p>

<p >Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>I've used an old M2 tube with both 55mm f/3.5 Ai and 55mm f/2.8 Ai-S micro-Nikkors. In most macro situations the fact that you don't get Ai coupling with an M2 is of little consequence. You can use stop-down metering or simply "chimp" the correct exposure in manual exposure mode. For slide copying, once you've got the correct exposure you shouldn't need to change it provided your light source stays the same.</p>

<p>Of course the camera can never "know" the actual aperture you're using, but since the effective aperture in macro is always smaller than the marked aperture, its lack in the EXIF data is no great loss.</p>

<p>As stated by the previous poster, a 55mm f/3.5 micro-Nikkor will almost certainly be an Ai version. I believe there was a pre-Ai version, but these aren't nearly as common as the Ai version, and they probably command a higher price to collectors.</p>

<p>Thanks Joe. Could you please comment on mounting the M2. Was the one you used ai'ed or mounted on an appropriate camera? Are extension tubes ai'ed the same as a lens would be?</p>

<p>According to <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#55micro">Roland Vink's database</a>, Nikon produced various non-AI versions of the 55mm f/3.5 Micro from 1961 through 1977, selling over 200,000 of them in total. Though highly regarded, they are plentiful and inexpensive on the used market. (KEH currently offers many different ones at prices ranging from $29 to $62.)</p>

<p>You should not attempt to mount a non-AI lens directly on a D800 (see page 374 of the manual). Doing so could damage the camera.</p>

<p>Using a tube between the lens and body may solve this problem (for example, the M ring made for the early 55mm f/3.5 non-AI lenses can be used safely), but you would be stuck always using the tube.</p>

<p>Since AI versions of the 55mm f/3.5 and f/2.8 are also plentiful on the used market, it would seem to make sense to get one of those instead of a non-AI type.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for this information Kent. The f3.5 that I am looking at is indeed ai. However, as I understand it the M2 is not ai. I find your information about the M ring quite interesting and wonder if the M2 can also be mounted safely. I did find one comment on a forum that suggested that the M2, although pre-ai, could be safely mounted but I have not been able to confirm that.</p>

<p>I think I found my answer. Lex Jenkins says that he mounts an M2 on a D2h without issue. <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00Uy3H">Link</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The rear of the tube completely clears the aperture indexing tab so it's not a problem - it's not AI, per se, but not even a factor since it doesn't touch the tab."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't really understand what the difference between the PK13 (which I have) and the M2 (which I've never seen) is. They are both 27.5mm extensions.</p>

<p>Doesn't the M2 ring have the aperture linkage to close the aperture lens? That and the lens release button is the only two thing that move on the PK13. OK, I found a third thing as well. A ring that transfers the position of the aperture ring. Is that ring the difference between the two perhaps?</p>

<p>BTW, I also have a 55mm f3.5 AI and the PK13 came with it.</p>

<p>OK. Let's see if we can make the difference between the M2 and the PK-13 clear.</p>

<p>The<strong> M2</strong> has <strong>no Ai coupler</strong>. The<strong> PK-13 has an Ai coupler tab</strong>. Both tubes have an aperture actuator lever inside them that couples the aperture stop down of the camera to the lens.<br>

To clarify: The PK-13 enables open-aperture metering with any Ai compatible camera and lens; the M2 does not. Otherwise they both give the same extension and allow auto-aperture operation.</p>

<p>Phil, as long as you're willing to work completely manually; i.e. setting the exposure and focus by hand; then there's really no issue with using an M2 ring.</p>

<p>I've mounted the M2 ring + 55mm micro-Nikkor on cameras from an F2A to a D800 with no problem. You have to control the exposure manually on all cameras with the M2 ring. The PK-13 would allow open-aperture metering and the usual non-CPU lens functions, as with any compatible DSLR having a manual focus Ai or Ai-S lens attached. With the M2 attached it's like you have a pre-Ai lens; whether it's an Ai(S) version or not.</p>

<p>Thanks Joe. I get it too now.</p>

<p>I did some more research as well.<br>

Would it be correct to say that Nikon has 4 different 27.5mm extension tubes made for the 55mm f3.5 and it's siblings?</p>

<p>1) The M extension tube. I assume it's really from the F era of film cameras (early 60's) when metering was optional. So no coupling from the lens aperture ring position to the camera.</p>

<p>2) The M2 extension tube. It seems the same as the M. What's the difference between M and M2?</p>

<p>3) The PK3 extension tube. It transfers the lens aperture ring position to the camera using the a pin that hooks into a shoe on the aperture ring. Was this introduced mid/late 60's or something like that?</p>

<p>4) The PK13 extension tube. From the AI area (late 70's). Transfers the lens aperture ring position to the camera using the AI ridge on the back of the lens to the AI coupling tab on the camera.</p>

<p> </p>