error codes

chris_turner5

Not sure on the XTi, but on the 20D, to reset it:

Turn off Camera

Take out battery

Take out CF Card

take off Lens

Reverse above steps and then turn camera back on, should fix it.

I get it once in a while when I use a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens.

Hope it helps.

On a 20D it is a lens error. With some older sigma lenses (the ones not fully compatible with digital systems) when the lens was put on the camera it would work, but when you tried to change the aperture setting, you got error 99. Also if the contacts are dirty between the camera and the lens you can get this error.

I think the general consensus is that there is no consensus. I see the ERR 99 as Canon's "Check Engine" light. It says that something is wrong, but doesn't provide any specifics, probably to prevent user fixes, just like the automotive variant. Like the previous poster said, it does tend to show up with lens errors rather more regularly than anything else. If you follow the above directions, and clean the contacts on both the body and the lens you are using, chances are it will go away.

ERR99 is the none of the above ERR. The XTi manual no longer lists the error codes. The word from Chuck Westfall is

<blockquote>

Error code Countermeasures<P>

Err 01 Clean the lens contacts.<P>

Err 02 There is a problem with the CF card. Do one of the following: Remove and reload the CF card, format the CF card, or use another CF card.<P>

Err 04 The CF card is full. Delete unnecessary images or replace the CF card.<P>

Err 05 Something obstructed the built-in flash?s pop-up operation. Turn off the main switch and turn it on again.<P>

Err 99 An error other than the above has occurred. Remove and re-install the battery.<P>

As you can see, Err 99 is non-specific. The only way to find out what it means is to send the camera in for repair. Once the camera is hooked up to the service department computer, their diagnostic software can get more detailed information to aid the technician in solving the problem.

</blockquote>

The lens problem is most likely. I have seen it once on my 20D when I stacked some extension tubes on my 300/4IS + 1.4x extender and shot handheld. My working hypothesis is that the coupling flexed enough to break contact and I got an ERR99.

ERR99 is the none of the above ERR. The XTi manual no longer lists all the error codes. The word from Chuck Westfall, in this case taken directly from the 10D manual, was

<blockquote>

Error code Countermeasures<P>

Err 01 Clean the lens contacts.<P>

Err 02 There is a problem with the CF card. Do one of the following: Remove and reload the CF card, format the CF card, or use another CF card.<P>

Err 04 The CF card is full. Delete unnecessary images or replace the CF card.<P>

Err 05 Something obstructed the built-in flash?s pop-up operation. Turn off the main switch and turn it on again.<P>

Err 99 An error other than the above has occurred. Remove and re-install the battery.<P>

As you can see, Err 99 is non-specific. The only way to find out what it means is to send the camera in for repair. Once the camera is hooked up to the service department computer, their diagnostic software can get more detailed information to aid the technician in solving the problem.

</blockquote>

The lens problem is most likely. I have seen it once on my 20D when I stacked some extension tubes on my 300/4IS + 1.4x extender and shot handheld. My working hypothesis is that the coupling flexed enough to break contact and I got an ERR99.

As AW wrote above, Err 99 is non specific:

The error codes, according to Canon, are consistent on the model mentioned with the error codes used on the 20D.

Canon says:

`An error other than the above has occurred. [referring to Err 01 to 04 inclusive]

Remove and re-install the battery.

This error may occur if you use a non-Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly.`

WW