lens, and twice got an "err 01". Symptoms included top LCD display

showing �3000� shutter speed and �00� aperture. Turning off camera

would not reset electronics, but un-mounting/re-mounting lens would

work. This is all consistent with info on page 171 of EOS 10D

manual (�clean the contacts�), but it was a rude surprise

nevertheless� Careful inspection of electrical contacts of both the

body and lens was negative; they looked just fine. Anyone else have

this problem..? Thanks!

I had a similar problem which I eventually troubleshot down to a malfunctioning lens. A new 28-105mm lens solved the problem. However, in the process, my discussions with Canon led to cleaning the lens contacts with a pencil eraser (which didn't fix my particular problem since the aperture itself was malfunctioning). Even though they may "look" ok, I'd try that in your case as well. Do you have other lenses such that you can see if the problem presents with all lenses or just that one in particular? That's my $0.05 on the subject.

You can't see it, but a thin and invisible coating of oil or chemical residue is all it takes to cause an electrical malfunction. Many a time cleaning my battery contacts solved intermittent malfunctions in my cameras and other devices. I'm not too keen on erasers as the crumbs can easily fall in the camera or lens. A clean micro fiber cloth with a few drops of contact cleaner works great.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I've been using my EOS 10D with an EF 70-200 4L USM for about a month without problems. I've not had any issues with any other EF lenses, but thus far I've only used an EF 24-85 USM, 50 1.4 USM, 200 2.8L USM and 300 4L USM (I haven't mounted any IS lenses yet). I wonder if there's a compatibilty problem with some EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM lenses? As I recall there were problems with the EF 28-70 2.8L USM and EOS 1D combo. Have you guys tried other lenses to confirm if it's the lens or camera?

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

More Details... My "careful inspection" was using a Zeiss Stemi SV 11 APO Stereomicroscope with 0.6X-66.0X magnification. All contacts (both body & lens) were in nominal condition. So far I have NOT gone the contact cleaner/solvent route. Does anyone (or Canon officially) recommend a particular brand? And yes, for those wondering, my problem has so far been exclusive to the EOS 10D w/70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens combo. Unfortunately, an EOS XXX with a 70-200 is my "meat & potatoes" rig. Thanks for your input to date. I'll be calling Canon in about 10hrs...

Ironically, I used to get this quite a bit with my 70-200mm 2.8 IS and my Canon 1V. So far, it's never happened with my 10D, even tho' I leave that lens on most of the time. Since cleaning the contacts on both the camera and lens with a pencil eraser, it hasn't happened again. "Re-booting" the camera seems to work. Apparently something loses contact between the camera and lens, for whatever reason. I've suspected that the heavy weight of this lens might have something to do with it, but that's just speculation on my part; I've never had it happen with another lens. You might try the pencil eraser trick and see how it goes. Best wishes . . .

• 2 weeks later...