Ergonomic mouse for photo editing?

<p>After years of working in photoshop using a standard mouse that came with my system, I've developed a touch of carpal tunnel. A therapist told me I should get rid of the old mouse and purchase an ergonomic mouse. He gave me several suggestions, but when I read the reviews, a number of folks stated that they weren't good for the detail work of photo editing. Just wondering if anyone could recommend an ergonomic mouse that works well for this purpose. My hand will appreciate any recommendations.</p>

<p>Jack, I had a similar experience and found a few exercises helped quite a bit, like rocking your interlocked fingers with arms fully stretched and palms facing outward. </p>

<p>I've tried mice of all types (including trackballs) and never found one that solved the fatigue problem, and as you've mentioned, none of them are good for highly detailed work. </p>

<p>I finally gave up on all mouse-type devices and switched over to a tablet computer containing a Wacom screen with stylus input. I chose it over a standalone Wacom tablet because I could never get used to drawing on a different surface from what I'm looking at. </p>

<p>These things used to be pricey but you can get a used Lenovo these days for under $200. The model I have is the X61 tablet running Windows 8.1 , 12" screen, 64bit, 8G ram (capable) that is now cheaper than a Wacom tablet that has a much smaller working surface area. I use it with an external monitor attached in mirror mode. Similar models are the X41, X200 and X201. <br>

<a href="

<p>Ditto, tho' my problem is more arthritis than carp and grumble syndrome. But pain is pain.</p>

<p>My Logitech laser wireless mouse (I think it's an M500 or very similar) has excellent ergonomics: molded to the hand; light enough touch to operate with the full finger rested, no need to curl the fingers; customizable doodads.</p>

<p>But the tracking isn't quite a match for a hardwired mouse. I use it on my desktop at very low speed only for fine touch stuff. I have a second cheapo wired mouse for quicker cursoring with most stuff.</p>

I also used a large tablet for a long time (until it finally packed in). Using a puck, not the stylus, because a stylus is something you are putting down and picking up again constantly. A right pain in the rear. The absolute positioning on a tablet rules out the repititive small movements that cause these painfull (and potentially permanent) problems. Your entire wrist, arm and shoulder get a 'work out'.<br>That doesn't work, by the way, with a small tablet. It must be A3+ or larger.<br>I would get another large tablet myself if i didn't use mobile computers and their touchpads more than desktops nowadays, and the space the tablet requires on the desk already has been 'filled in' by other stuff. But if i had a CTS/RSI problem creeping up on me, a large tablet would be back again in no time at all.

<p>I use a Wacom tablet too for some of my editing, but still find myself using the mouse quite a bit. One that I found that I liked is the Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse (<a href="http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm">link</a>). This thing looks like the Batmobile (from the last three Batman movies). You can customize almost every part of this thing--from the length, height of the palm rest, weight (there are a series of weights that are easily added or removed depending on what you want to "push around"), 'rest' areas to place both the pinkie and thumb--also adjustable. No doubt it is unusual looking--and with a sensitivity (also adjustable) of up to 6400 dpi, this is, without a doubt, the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. (I'm not into gaming at all, but since it appears that it was designed for gamers--who tend to spend lots of time using these devices, the ergo aspects to this thing are pretty apparent.) They have a wired and wireless version--I prefer the wired one--no batteries/charging, a long cord--and I've had issues in the past with some wireless mice--so I stuck with the wired one.</p>

<p>I've made several adaptations over the years due to carpal tunnel. A laser mouse seems easier to use because of the light touch. Trackballs have helped a lot too. My Mac touch trackpad seems to help the most and is my all around preference. But the biggest change was years ago I began to use my left hand all the time. I'm now ambidextrous and if needed, can switch hands without blinking. </p>

<p>I get bad carpal-related neurological issues in my fingers and I find most mice or trackballs no longer help. As a result, I use a 3M ergonomic mouse (it's not really a conventional mouse at all) combined with a Bamboo tablet and this has solved the problem, although the 3M takes a lot of getting used to. I think that David L, is right that if you can alternate hands that would help a great deal too. I haven't really persevered with that approach.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I appreciate all the responses. I'll be checking out some of the mice recommended in this thread over the weekend. The Wacom tablet looks interesting, but I think I'll end up buying a more ergonomic mouse first to see just how much it helps. Thanks again for the input.</p>

<p>Michael (Chang)-- The Lenovo option looks interesting; I was wondering if it is possible to somehow tie the the touch screen to a desktop PC and use it as an input device for applications on the PC (instead of the laptop/tablet) similar to the way the Wacom Cintiq works. Have you seen this done anywhere? Those Cintiqs are sooooo expensive--but nice.</p>

<p>My left hand and forearm will give me pain that lasts several days if I use a mouse for only a few minutes. I taught myself to be right handed and have used a trackball for so long I cannot now remember when I bought it - a Logitech Marble Mouse. I have not given up with my left hand and use a Track Pad ( I use a Mac). This operates with the most gentle of actions and I do not get 'mouse ache' using it. For detail photo work - increasingly little these days - I use a Wacom tablet. </p>

<p>I bought a Logitech gaming mouse. It has a switch to adjust DPI setting so you can go from quick crude movements for gaming to something precise for photo editing. Unfortunately I gamed too much and now the click button is worn. - Compared to budget office mice the Logitech is way less picky about the surface you run it on.<br>

Ergonomic mice are basically "huge monsters you won't like to stuff into your laptop bag" Gaming mice add the advantage to be able to reduce needed movement when it isn't necessary.<br>

I wouldn't go wireless. - I felt some lag with those mice and batteries die when it annoys most.<br>

Go to some electronics shop and place your hand over the package and judge which mouse really fills it. Usually you can adjust your OS to compensate for a mouse's basic setting - can you demand significantly more movement than you need right now in yours? - If so the ergonomic gaming stuff should work for you too. - They just aren't plug and play exchangeable with office / graphic work mice.</p>

Movements do need to be reduced. It's the repetitive nature, the same movement again and again, that causes problems. Small movements are made using fingers and a bit of the wrist only. Large movements involve the arm, and take it in all different directions required by the task, provide more variation than tiny flicks of the wrist and flexing of fingers.

<p>I've also had this same issue, I encourage the exercises that Chang mentioned, as well as overall body/shoulder exercises, and whatever your therapist says.</p>

<p>My only input is if you find a mouse or trackball you like, buy a second one of the same type as a backup or use on 2nd computer, etc. In this age things tend to disapppear after a couple of years, as in short manufacturing run before features are changed.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I had been suffering from RSI (repetitive strain injury) for a couple of years. Both my wrists, my arms and elbows hurt. I couldn’t even lift a cup without pain. Not to mention computer related work, that was nearly impossible.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>July 2006<br />At the end of a three-month internship I felt a slight pain in my right wrist for the first time. In the following days I continued to work normally, hoping that after the next weekend everything would be okay again - but it was not. Even switching the mouse to my left hand did not help significantly. The pain had intensified within a week and now both wrists were already equally affected. On the weekend both forearms ... </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have published my whole story on my website http://www.rsipain.com/history.php. You’ll also find comprehensive information on what helped me in the end to overcome this pain (22,000+ words, so arrange enough time ;)). So if you are a fellow sufferer, I hope this can be of help. </p>

• 5 months later...
<p>Hey,<br /> Try a German designed vertical Mouse. Minicute Ezmouse 2. I have been used it. It is really good.<br /> The size of the mouse is good for big hands.<br /> you can get from online Qoo10. They will ship to your place.</p>