Epson V700 and 105-210mm Mamiya zoom lens qualities

federico_prieto

<p>Today I scanned (with my new V700) some film I taked a pair of months ago using the 105-210 zoom in my Mamiya Pro camera. I have a Nikon ED5000 for 35mm and I confess I am very happy with this film scanner. Like I couldn't buy (yet) the 9000ED I took the decision in adquire the Epson.<br>

My first impression is that I am very satisfied with this scanner and more than that with the Mamiya zoom.... Of course I used a little of USM in photoshop, but the sharp of the picture in more than I believed I could have.....<br>

IN any case Medium Format Shocks!!!<br>

Are you agree?<br>

Federico</p><div>00STh4-110113684.jpg.042bcd941418e12bd53a67d1af8ada74.jpg</div>

<p>Great shot! My V750 will be here tomorrow and my MF negs/slides are waiting. $2000 for the Coolscan 9000 was too much for me, too. Seems I made the reasonable decision. I am assuming this is dry mounted? I am sure someone here will ask you for a 100% crop.....</p>

<p>Nope... I am working with the Epson original film holder. It is no bad, but has its problems.....I am thinking the film holder made by betterscanning.com is a MUST!!! I have no doubts Nikon 9000ED is outstanding, but if you have not the money to buy that, the Epson for less than $ 500 is a steal..... And when you get the picture of the year you can pay for a hasselblad scan service....<br>

<br />thanks</p>

<p><em>I am working with the original film holders for over a year without any problems.</em><br>

I gave a look to both film holders design, and apparently the filmholder design from betterscanning (for the use of T-Locks) fix better the film curvature problem. If that happens you will get a better scanning result...I guess. </p>

<p><em>I am working with the original film holders for over a year without any problems.</em><br>

I gave a look to both film holders design, and apparently the filmholder design from betterscanning (for the use of T-Locks) fix better the film curvature problem. If that happens you will get a better scanning result...I guess. </p>

<p>I never had such a problem or I didn't see it. As today I am satisfied with the original set. When I baught the scanner I saw/thought the same as you Federico and was close to order those holders.<br>

But by all the stuff I am still needing it came at the end of the list and (knock on wood) I still don't miss it till today. So think (or check and try) twice before buying high praised items you may not necessary need.</p>

<p>A much more useful item for the V700/750 devices will be a lid-holder which is not offered anywhere.</p>

<p>Another way to get the film flatter, is to use the standard Epson 120 holders, and rather than the plastic clip "frame", use a piece of anti-newton ring (ANR) glass. If you want to do it really cheaply, go to a local picture framer, and get a piece of anti-reflective glass cut to fit in the film channel.</p>

<p>Lay the negative emulsion side up, then lay the glass on top, "rough" side down. Keeps even the curliest negatives flat, all for less than a glass of beer!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I will buy a glass with the same size of a 120 film negative with 4 pics of 6 x 4.5 with a Thick of 2 or 3mm</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is this really a good solution? Does anybody else has <strong>any experience</strong> with that? I would appreciate to here their opinon. Thx.</p>

<p>The new Ektar 100 120 will be a great combo for your V500/700s. Ektar comfortable outresolves the Epson scanner so resolution wise shooting Velvia would be overkill unless you have a Coolscan 9000 or better. Plus you get 14+ stops of dynamic range (you will loose a couple in the Epson scan).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, I have experience with a home-made glass holder for my 9000ED. The plastic grip holder that came with the scanner was awful, as the thin 120 film would wave like a sail when clamped down. I've used this rig now for 3-4 years with better focused scans. <br>

I spent $5 for two pieces of glare-free glass from Hobby Lobby. They cut my glass 200mm x 63mm with 2mm glass. The "guts" of the original 120 holder had to be removed in order to use the glass in place of the clamp grip, but it holds the film perfectly flat now. I'm sure it's not as convenient as one of the optional $500 glass carriers, but it sure works, and for a lot less money.</p>