Epson V600 with Medium Format

I've read a real 2000 ppi. I've read 2200/2400 ppi. I have not, personally , read 3000. Applying that to your film approx. 5000 x 3750 pixels.

But don't think that those numbers mean that a scan from a v600 is as good as a scan the same size from a film scanner or drum scanner that will make a bigger scan, where I'd expect to see both more detail and more info in the shadows. In short the advantage of a better, more expensive scanner is not only that it can make bigger scans.

My own experience with a V700 and 6x6 indicates that I've usually been pretty happy with prints or book reproduction up to about 12" longest side, so long as the original is sharp and detailed. If you've been hand-holding , then not so much. Beyond that point I'd rather send out for a film scan, though others might be happy to squeeze more out of the scans than I do.

Thanks for the replies. I absolutely agree that there is more to a quality scan than just the resolution numbers, I was just trying to get a feel for what I could expect. Right now I don't currently have a way to digitize MF film and I'm trying to find an affordable but still quality option. What I really need is a Coolscan 9000 but those are a great deal pricier.

Resolution is just a very small part of the story. For printing, your image will be downsampled to printer resolution (typically 300); this is done after de-specking/dusting etc.

The V600, V700, V750 and V800 are all very capable for simple, uncomplicated scans of photograhic media such as for web and some print production. And 6x4.5 is a very small size, just up from 35mm. So at least you are ahead in ease-of-use in terms of scanning something the size of an image that isn't much bigger than a postage stamp!

However, if your objective is for ultra-high quality and very large prints for exhibition (e.g. RA-4), then a drum scan will deliver better benefits.

Original work such as photographs (or prints) should be sharp and well exposed; any alteration at the scan step of e.g. focus/unsharpness and localised contrast/highlight control can become unintentionally very obvious in a physical print. Consider saving the output scan (around 4800) should ideally be saved as an unlayered .tif file, both for use as open/export as a JPG/PNG or use as a profiled/unprofiled .tif for high end bureau print.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans