Epson printer..how long could you let it *sleep* without printing

<p>Hi,<br>

Well, here's a info that might interested anyone who ask " Can i let my printer OFF and don't print on it for a long period ? ".</p>

<p>So to answer your questions i have let intentionally my epson 2400 in the box, in the storage room normal temperature, normal humidity with a full set of ink, except the Light gray that was almost empty. <em><strong>The printer didtn print anything</strong> </em> since last SUMMER! Meaning <em><strong>for over 1 year.</strong> </em></p>

<p>I needed it today so i put it on the table, plug it, install the latest driver on my Mac, and run a AUTO nozzle check and cleaning..after the first pass you could see that the Black was clogged, another pass was perfect as all the head where clean.</p>

<p>I then just print 50 11x17, a mix of BW and Color and all is PERFECT.</p>

<p>So how long could you let your epson 2400 turn OFF without printing anything on it..well now you know that it could be a year : )</p>

<p>* I have a 1400 and a 7880 that print like crazy since last summer do ; )</p>

<p>I would love to hear this answer. I have a 4880 and I sometimes let it go 3-4 weeks with no pronting. I disabled the auto power-on nozzle check because I thought it was wasting ink. I have not had any problems, but I have not exceeded four weeks.</p>

<p>I have a 7880 that sleep for 2month on the summer since im taking some time off..when im back, a simple auto nozzle check do the job.</p>

<p>After speaking with a senior rep at Epson last year, he told me that you should use the Epson Utility in your computer to clean the head vs the control panel on the Epson itself..it take less ink to clean? dont know why..and dont care, since he told me to use the software instead im not gonna fight him : )</p>

<p>Rob,</p>

<p>Are you saying that the K3 and/or the improved K3 inksets have inherently less clogging issues? That would be music to my ears as my next printer more than likely would be an Epson with K3 IF those inks are less clogging-prone. The clogging on my 2200 is so persistent that I've been thinking that my next printer would have to have either nozzles on the cartridges a la HP or easily/low cost replaceable print heads.</p>

My 4800 is not responding to repeated nozzle checks/cleanings to clear a magenta clog. Time for a power clean, except

that several other ink tanks are too low and the utility will not permit a power clean in that situation. A shame, as they have

enough ink for many more prints. Also a shame that all inks are wasted in a cleaning, rather than just the one with the clog.

What's probably not so odd, is the same thing happened a year ago - when a couple of otherwise useful tanks were too low

for a power clean.

www.citysnaps.net

>>> and I'm very concerned about clogging of my pigment ink 2200 and wonder about clogging of pigment ink K3 printers.

Still happens. Lot of reports out there. Including from friends that have the same printer or 2400...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Brad, when I had my 2400, before I got the 4880, there was a utility I downloaded that I was told would allow you to clean one nozzle at a time. I never used it and I do not know if it would work for a 4800, but perhaps Patrick knows.</p>

<p>William,</p>

<p>I think you're right. Just checked my 2200 nozzles again since I didn't print for one day (just to be sure they're OK) and found <strong>most cyan nozzles clogged</strong> but all others OK. After cleaning all cyan nozzles are fine but now a few light cyan, light magenta and light black nozzles are out. Hope people now understand why nozzle clogging is a <strong>big deal</strong> for me even to the point where I might consider going over to the dark side (HP) and get fresh nozzles with every new cartridge or can replace the print heads relatively easy and at a low cost.</p>

<p>Patrick,</p>

<p>So here is what I learned when googling for this issue. Nowhere do I find information that indicates that the K3 inks by themselves are less prone to clogging. But apparently the print heads in the newer large format printers and the 13" wide R2880 are treated with a special ink repellent coating to minimize nozzle clogging and Automatic Nozzle Check technology to clean the print heads when clogs are found.</p>

<p>While that is encouraging, there are also reports of clogging of these newer printers even to the point where people switched to other brands, although such reports hardly equal hard data. So, my question is: where do I find reliable information on how clogging of newer Epson printers with K3 inks compares to the older printers with pigment ink?</p>

<p>Well Frans, you know me ..thats a beginning : )</p>

<p>My Epson 1400, 2400 (just came out of hibernation) and my 7880 dont ahve any clogged problem, and never had. My epson 4800 that i had before was also a excllent clogged free printer..and my previous 2200 had some moment, but nothing terrible. On the other hand my 1280 and epson 3000 where a disaster..even during a print job the head clogged LOL.</p>

<p>I know Godfrey and Ken have also epson printer, and i dont recall them talking about clogged issue..but would have to comfirm that with them.</p>

<p>Its my dream to be able to change print head with each new ink cart..and not being able to get neutral black white print..just kidding (or at least it was true in the past with HP brown looking bw) : )</p>

<p>_____</p>

<p>On the other hand, since the epson printer i have seem to like Montreal and the temperature, you are more than welcome to rent the 800sqr2 appartment aside my place; 750$CAN is a deal ..and no epson problem! : )</p>

<p>My R2400 often goes for 4-6 weeks without printing with no problems other than a simple head cleaning with the epson utillity. My 4800 is pretty good as well and I have only needed to do a power cleaning once when it sat for several months. Ditto for my 7800. The K3 inks make a difference. The 2200, with Epson's original archival inks, was/is much more clog prone.</p>

<p>The old, pre-K3 Epsons ALL clogged. In three years I've had CLOG FREE performance my Epson 2400. What a superb printer. I used to have a 1280 that clogged a lot (same environment).</p>

<p>By & Large, the modern K3 inkjets do not clog. Soemtimes I print a lot, sometimes nothing for 5-6 weeks. Perfection each time (except they are often a royal bitch to feed paper -- talk about finicky!)</p>

<p>I live in Arizona - dry and hot - and during the summer months, my 2400 printer sits idle for at least 3 moths. A simple nozzle check and clean is all it takes to bring it back to life. I have had my 2400 for about three years now.</p>