Epson flatbed scanners that scan 4x5 film?

<p>As I understand, the only Epson flatbed scanners that will scan 4x5 film are the 2450, 3200, 4870, 4990, V700, and V750. Is this correct? Will any of those models <em>not</em> scan 4x5 film? Have I left out any models that will scan 4x5 film?</p>

<p>In terms of the differences among these models:<br>

* As I understand, the 4990, V700, and V750 have Digital ICE, but the other models to not--is this correct? What about the 4870?<br>

* Epson is releasing new drivers for Windows 7 etc. for 4990, V700, and V750, while the older models have to soldier along with either old drivers or third party software. Is this correct?<br>

* I realize that there are differences in the nominal resolutions, and by most accounts the effective resolutions--not interested in re-treading the debate about what the effective resolutions are.<br>

* Any other important differences?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I have a V750 running under Win7, works great for large and medium format. Both the V700 and V750 have adjustable height holders. You'll want that to tune the focus point of the scanner. You can also buy third party adjustable scanner for most of the scanners on your list from Betterscanning.com (tip: they're better than the Epson holders)</p>

<p>"soldier along with either old drivers or third party software."<br>

Vuescan is a big improvement over Epson Scan. Highly recommended, whichever model you use. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it gives much better control over the scanner. Also, Vuescan's IR clean can be persuaded to work without introducing artifacts, unlike Epson's ICE.</p>

<p>I own a 4990, which I bought used a couple years ago because I wanted 4x5 capability but couldn't afford a V7xx. It's been a solid performer, and on the whole I've been satisfied with its output. </p>

<p>I have my machine set up to dual-boot between XP and Win7. I don't recall now if I installed Win7-specific drivers for my 4990. Probably did.</p>

<p>I personally do not like VueScan, and actually prefer Epson Scan. It does everything I need and more. VueScan has a rather unfinished look and feel to it, and I still haven't figured out how to adjust individual images and then assemble them into a batch for scanning. It seems that VuewScan wants the adjustments to apply to every image in the batch. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but this is enough for me not to use it.</p>

<p>I do not use Epson Scan's digital ICE function because it noticeably reduces image sharpness. I also do not use its dust removal setting because it adds artifacts to the image that resemble slivers of glass. So I end up hand-retouching all my scans. Time consuming, but it gives me the best results.</p>