Epson 9800 software conflicting with Photoshop CS 3 & 4

<p>My Epson Stylus Pro9800 has always been working fine but today the epson printer software started giving trouble. when printing from photos hop, my settings a re Photoshop: Color Handling - Photoshop Manages Colors, Printer Profile - Adobe RGB (1998), Rendering Intent - Relative Colorimetric and Epson Printer Software: Media Type - Premium Lustre Photo Paper, Color - Color, Print Quality - 1440dpi High Speed Off, Mode - sRGB. But today, it started disabling Mode from sRGB to No Color Management giving very dark, devoid of yellow and blurred prints. no matter which combination i try, it ret urns to no color management. plz hel p me out.<br>

�������������������������������������</p>

<p>If Photoshop is managing colors then the Epson should be set for 'No Color Management'.<br>

I can understand why you might have dark prints, but blurry doesn't make sense.<br>

Have you checked the nozzles and print head alignment? No yellow makes me wonder about nozzles, etc...</p>

<p>Your problem is, you should <strong>not</strong> be setting Color Handling to Adobe RGB (1998) with Photoshop Manages Color but instead pick the paper profile. Then set No Color Adjustment in the Epson driver after selecting the correct media settings and print settings. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Shahzeb,<br>

Epson recommends you use Adobe RGB 1998 in the Color Management section under 'Document'. (In other words your image should be assigned the Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop). Epson says other spaces (i.e.ProPhoto, etc.) are not supposed to work as well with the current drivers...<br>

The 'Printer Profile' should be set to the printer and paper profile you want to use.<br>

In the Epson printer setup color management should be set to "Off-No Color Management"</p>

<p>but i have been using the settings for past three years or so and the results have been outstanding. the nozzle check is ok, i even did the head alignment routine and all looked fine. its just something with photoshop. i even formatted my system drive and installed vista 64bit and photoshop cs4 but same problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Epson recommends you use Adobe RGB 1998 in the Color Management section under 'Document'. (In other words your image should be assigned the Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop). Epson says other spaces (i.e.ProPhoto, etc.) are not supposed to work as well with the current drivers...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is incorrect. The color space there is the document color space and you can most certainly use ProPhoto RGB. Where you want to select Adobe RGB is printing Advanced B&W with SOME printers under Leopard as that part of the driver expects Adobe RGB (1998). Unless you're printing ABW, you can have your original in any well behaved RGB working space and you need to select a paper profile below. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Here's the problem "i even formatted my system drive and installed vista 64bit and photoshop cs4 but same problem."</p>

<p>The printer driver for Epson printers for Vista do not allow the printer to manage the color as you have been doing. You need a proper ICC profile for your printer, and need to make sure your color management is correct in PS only. Make sure color management in the printer is turned off.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Sorry about the double post...hit the wrong key.<br /> Andrew if you do work for Epson maybe you could help me with my R1800....<br /> It hasn't printed right since I changed to a Mac running Leopard.<br /> I use a Color Munki for profiles...but nothing has worked right since I switched...<br /> Do I need a RIP to get good prints?<br /> When I print a sample my black point is in the 50's...even with the maufacturers ICC profile for the paper and printer...<br /> <br /> And why the heck would an Epson tech tell me what he did?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>

<p>Andrew...you speak with a lot of authority...do you work for Epson?</p>

</p>

</blockquote>

Well if you consider speaking at the Epson Print Academy tour with the other gang, yes. But no, I'm a free-lancer.

<p>You don't need a Rip. </p>

<p>There's nothing I know that ColorMunki would do to affect the driver or printing other than make a profile that's not a good one (which hasn't been my experience at all, just the opposite). You might have an issue with an older driver that's not been updated for Leopard. Epson doesn't support older printers in terms of supporting new drivers for newer OS releases. How are the canned Epson profiles with their associated papers? </p>

<p>Dark as well.<br>

I know there's a driver problem...well I shouldn't say that (another Epson tech told me that...and that Epson wasn't going to update them for thr R1800).<br>

So...I bought a Canon Pro9500...same thing...prints too dark but not as bad.<br>

I spoke to the folks at Inkjetmall.com...they told me CS4 and Leopard just don't work well together..and that I should go back to CS3.<br>

I have printed with my pc using custom profiles for years with no sweat....but with the Mac and Leopard nothing but headaches...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I spoke to the folks at Inkjetmall.com...they told me CS4 and Leopard just don't work well together..and that I should go back to CS3.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nonsense! And FWIW, I'm on Leopard, running a 2880, 3800, 4800 and 7880, no issues at all with CS4 or Lightroom. The people at Inkjet Mall are as clueless about this as the Epson tech. If anything, there are more driver issues with Canon printers. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do I need to just buy one of the newer Epson's?</p>

</blockquote>

I'd hope not. I'd download the Printer Test File from my site (digitaldog.net). Its on the Tips and Tricks page at the top. Then ensure you've got everything set correctly in Photoshop's Print dialog AND in the Epson driver (there are PDFs showing this too). You want Photoshop to manage color, select a printer profile (if you have Epson paper, try one of the canned profiles or roll your own). In the driver, you have to select the correct media settings and select No Color Adjustment. Of course, ensure all inks are firing etc. I had an 1800 awhile back, I don't recall any problems but don't know if at the time I was running leopard or not.

You could also try a test using Printer Manages Color and see what happens as a last resort.

<p>Thanks Andrew..I've tried letting the printer manage color...I can get close but still no cigar.<br>

Didn't mean to monopolize you...but I'm really disappointed with Leopard and the R1800.<br>

I'll keep plugging away tho..<br>

'Have a good one..</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>OK Here is my two cents! I too am having blurry image after doing my updates Mac os 10.4.11 on a G5 and<br>

Wacked out color on macpro os 10.5.8. Both units print to the same epson 9800, both looked good before any updates or new OS installed. I don't have an answer to the problem. I like the "trash the Preferences" idea. I also like the "Epson recommends you use Adobe RGB 1998 in the Color Management section under 'Document'. (In other words your image should be assigned the Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop)." idea and I like using the ICC for Lustre Premium. I fear that Epson, Adobe and Mac have not gotten together to support the 9800 rather, let the customers spend more money on new equipment. There is another driver, Gutenprint / Gimp=print which I may end up trying.<br>

I see the advantages to using a RIP, keeping your commands synchronized each and every time. I hope there are some answers. I am sure that there are a lot of other users with same issues. Keep the discussion going! Thanks</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Epson recommends you use Adobe RGB 1998 in the Color Management section under 'Document'. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only for the Advanced B&W, for color, you can use any RGB working space. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>In other words your image should be assigned the Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only if it were untagged and in Adobe RGB (1998)! You never Assign a profile to an untagged or tagged document that isn’t in that color space. </p>