Epson 3800 - Error 1404

I have just upgraded from an Epson 2100 to the Stylus Pro 3800.

I began setting up the printer and after about 45 seconds of starting the

initial ink charge the printer stopped what it was doing and came up with an

error message "Contact service center - error 1404". This was pretty irritating

to say the least.

Has anybody come across a similar problem, and if so, how was it resolved?

To be honest I would expect better from a brand new printer - I wonder if I have

just been extremely unlucky, or is this a known issue with the printer?

Any experience/suggestions will be very welcome.

Hi Paul.

I Googled the error #, and came up with this Q&A page ...

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=79928&prodoid=63062509&foid=88139&cat=53461&subcat=53463

The page says this error has something to do with incorrect air pressure in your ink cartridge. They suggest swapping out the Ink Cartridge(s) with a brand new one. (of the correct type). If that does not work, then contact Epson Service Center.

To find this page, Google with

"Epson Stylus Pro 3800" + "error 1404"

{BTW, this is a pretty common troubleshooting technique w/techies.}

Hope that helps..

AP

I have spoken to Epson service this morning. The service rep. indicated he had never heard of this problem on initial set up before. He also confirmed that it is a cartridge problem. However, because it has occurred during set up, it isn't possible to tell which cartridge is at fault. An Epson technician is coming out tomorrow with a full set of cartridges. I guess he will replace them one by one until he finds the faulty one!

I will provide a further update after his visit.

My 3800 spit out a plastic wheel when I made my 3rd print. I was pissed that a printer that

costs that much would break so quick. I called Epson and had a new printer in two days.

They sent instructions on how to send back the old one in the box the new one came in.

They handled the whole thing very well and I was only without a printer for two days.

• 1 year later...

<p>I just received the 1404 error after replacing a cartridge (expiration date 3 weeks ago) but with the "service call error" all controls are disabled including the electronic release for the front door (where the ink carts are) So I am not sure how to open the front door to pull the "bad cartridge" Other than a hammer, and suggestion on getting it open?<br>

Thanks<br>

Todd</p>

<p>Actually the technician who fixed my printer did force the catch on the left hand side of the ink cartridge cover! Fortunately the printer was brand new and very much under warranty. There were no ill effects, and the ink cartridge cover still works fine on my printer. I hope you manage to get yours sorted.</p>