Epson 3200 vs. 3200 Pro

vick_vickery

There are extra programs with the pro model. I found them either on Epson site or B&H`s. Them look on google for the program and go to the site listed for explanation for what they do. One was a panoramic stitching program and that was actually included with some of the other software provided with the pro. I found the software worth the extra money as I had none to start. Never did buy the Epson, but got a Minolta 5400 for 35mm only and am very happy.

The PRO packages SilverFast Ai and Monaco EZColor. SilverFast is a scanning plug-in for Photoshop and stand-alone. The non-Pro version comes with the freebie version; Ai has a few more features. I forget the details, but I do know that I use them and would miss them. I much prefer SilverFast to the Epson software. Monaco EZColor is a scanner and printer profiler. It comes with IT8 reflective and transparency targets. If you're not familiar with color management, it's worthwhile to take the time to learn the basics. Even if you do only B&W, your photo editor and the printer should agree on what is meant by which color number, especially when trying to print neutral grays.

FWIW, I bought the PRO specifically to profile the printer. To do even a mediocre job, the scanner has to provide accurate feedback on what the printer actually printed. Accurate scanning was merely a bonus feature at the time, but now a central part of my photography.

Is it worth the money? For me, yes, without question. The Epson software is for crap, and the basic level of color management is sufficient for what I do. The alternative for printer and scanner profiling is something like Gretag-Macbeth's EyeOne, which is far more spendy at $1500. So, definitely yes if you don't already profile your scanner and printer. Otherwise, no, use your kilobuck photospectrometer to profile the printer and scanner.

I tried the OptiCal printer profiling tool from ColorVision, and found that no matter how hard I tried, I could never get a really excellent profile for my printer/paper/ink of choice. I spent $99 and got one from <a href="http://www.chromix.com/" target="_blank">Chromix</a>. It's perfect.

<p>Based on experience, I would suggest that there are several tools available for profiling one's monitor, or scanner, but that when it comes to profiling a printer, it is best to let a pro do it, or buy the "kilobuck" tools and do it yourself.