Epson 2200 color portraits - which paper?

I'm printing color portraits on an Epson 2200 using Epson's

UltraChrome inks. I've had nice results with Epson's premium glossy

and luster papers, but reading around here a bit tells me that I

shouldn't use glossy if I want long lasting prints. Ultimately, I'd

also like to use Super A3 (13x19) paper.

My questions are:

Is there a site that regularly reviews different papers and finishes

that might have a nice library of paper reviews?

Does someone here recommend a nice paper for color portrait prints

that will be long lasting? Luster? Matte?

What do you think of printing color prints on matte finish?

Any input would be appreciated.

- Mike

Everyone's aesthetic tastes are different; I would recommend ordering a sampler pack of several different paper types to compare and make your own decisions.

Personally, though, I've settled on Moab's Entrada Natural, which is a matte fine-art paper.

I have tried most of the Epson papers and a few others. Personal preferences prevail and

mine are: Epson Enhanced Matte and Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl (a luster or semi-gloss

paper that uses the photo black ink). I have paid for custom profiles for each paper. They

significantly improved the prints matching my calibrated monitor. Hahnemuhle Photo Rag

is also a very nice, but pricey, archival matte paper.

Each of us must find our own preferences, but the opinions expressed here are a place to

start.

Mike, Epson Velvet makes stunning portraits. The thick paper sucks in the ink and the mildly textured surface diminishes facial imperfections. It is an off white as well which I find quite flattering and forgiving. I have just cracked open a new package of 8.5x11 that I got today from B&H. Not cheap though.I just love this paper.

I've been through this myself. There are a lot of papers out there that will work in the SP2200 using the epson profiles. What I eventually did was I broke down and purchased ColorVision Spyder/PrintFix package (600 bucks - yuck) and now when I buy paper such as Illford Pearl, I make a profile for that specific paper. Not all papers are equal. Paper manufactures control the brightness of their paper by loading the substrate with phosphors which will effect the color if the inks. The rate the ink soaks into the substrate also has an effect. The resin coating on the top of the paper also determines how the ink reacts. So what I have been taught is to make a profile for each paper I use. Manufactures such as Kodak offers downloadable profiles on their site specific for their professional papers. I've use them and was happy with the results. Not all paper manufactures offer downloadable profiles or at least I couldn't find them.

Using a profiling package is no easy task either. Actually the hardest part for me was figuring out how to use it. The instructions sucked. At that time ColorVision was the only one that offered a 30 day money back if you didin't like it. I came close to returning it but eventually i figured it out. But unless your monitor is calibrated and your printer is profiled, you're not going to get consistant results. It's an evil necessity. In the long run, the 600 big ones payed off by greatly reducing the aggrivation factor. So in my case it was worth it.

As for matte vs glossy - I like matte myself but most of what I sell goes out on glossy because that is what the buyer wants. It's like "you want this on what? Glossy"? Hey, I ain't gonna argu with em. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.