be named here). Here I am 20 minutes later & open photoshop & want to

scan another image to post with an answer to a question in the

forums. I get the message there are no twain drivers. This after I

had to earlier remove the scanner & its programs & re-install to get

photoshop to work with it... you guessed it: it kept telling me there

were no twain drivers.

I find it easier many times to go get the camera, shoot & process the

film & go into the darkroom & print it than to waste hours trying to

get this scanner to work with photoshop.

Anyone know of a way to get it to work on a regular basis?

Reality is that last week while I wasted a couple hours on it &

finally called a friend who is a computer technician to come over &

help, I printed 24 8x10's of one neg & 10 8x10's of another neg,

rinsed & dried in less time than it took him to trouble shoot the

scanner & photoshop. The more I use the scanner the less I like it.

Seems it seldom works as it should, turn it on, scan & then work with

the image.

Are they all this lousy?

I find I cannot promise work with a deadline if it involves the

computer, scanner & printer. I can make any deadline if I print the

negatives myself but the computer stuff just isn't reliable.

It sounds like a USB problem. What operating system are you using? Did you download and install the latest drivers for the scanner? I have a 2450 on Win XP and it works great on an adaptec USB 2.0 card. I can turn the scanner ON and OFF between uses even. If you are running Windows 98, there may be updates for USB that you can get by going to microsoft and running windows update.

I have had the 1640 for a couple years running with Windows 2000 (Pro) and PS 6.0 and I haven't experienced any of the problems you mentioned above. I did have some quirky/bug-like problems with the drivers that came with the scanner, out of the box. So I downloaded the latest drivers from the Epson website and have been running smoothly ever since. Getting the latest drivers would be worth a try...

I get hassle with my Epson and my Canon if I haven't had them switched on when I boot up. Ain't USB problem for me, as I have both input through scsi, even though I had the same problem when they came in through USB. I have the original drivers that came with the Epson, as I prefer them by far to the updated ones, but try rebooting with the power on- it may help.

I have booted, rebooted & done everything but boot this electronic junkpile into Great Salt Lake. After 7 fruitless hours Sunday I had a friend come over Monday & he spent 2 hours on it while I went into the darkroom & printed. He got it to work. New drivers from Epson... just as we had been trying to load since the previous afternoon. Wow, it scanned two images before the drivers went "somewhere" & fifteen minutes later they were nowhere to be found. Photoshop couldn't find them & niether could my buddy. Re-downloaded & re-installed later that evening (5 hours later) & once again this hellbox scans. Until you let it sit for a few minutes & then it gives the ever asinine "where the hell are the twain drivers" message. (not quite in those words but the intent is the same).

So, the thing is such a frustrating piece of gear I hardly ever use it. Seems faster to make real prints & mail them, something I have done a number of times rather than waste a few days re-loading over & over & removing & reloading & hoping somehow it will work. Oftimes faster to go to the post office & mail a print.

As for the zip disks... 26 of them out of 32 that the zip drive does not recognize. Get the great message that "no disk in the drive" when I put them in. All loaded with images that I can't get to... once again faster to hand print them & mail.

Does anything having to do with computers actually work like advertised??? I mean other than the old Osborne computer I used to have?