EP-1 only compact with bulb?

brian_nelson5

<p>Amongst the compacts available now, is the EP-1 the only one with a bulb setting? <br>

My primary purpose in upgrading from my Canon G7 is to have the ability to help determine the proper exposure for night shooting with my film camera (Rollei TLR), as well as to take notes, and I want the gear to fit into the same compact bag. I have had some success using the G7, set to ISO 1600 at maximum aperture for 15 seconds, to simulate what f/8 at 8 minutes at ISO 100 produces (Acros 100). That may not be an accurate computation, but it's what I came up with. And doing this sort of arithmetic for each exposure somewhat detracts from my enjoyment of the night experience, and of course results in awful images. (Though the film results weren't too far off.)<br>

Any compact would do however, if it had bulb. All DSLRs are too big for me.</p>

<p>With most films that wouldn't be an accurate method due to reciprocity failure, but Acros, TMX and a few others have better reciprocity characteristics so it might work.</p>

<p>Interesting approach tho'. I've used my C-3040Z digicam's spotmeter to establish exposures for my Rollei and Yashica TLRs, but only for daylight or relatively short duration exposures (no longer than one second).</p>

<p>While not a direct response to your question, <a href="http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm">Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer</a> might help. I use those tables to estimate long exposures at night or indoors with difficult lighting, rather than trying to use a light meter.</p>

<p>For deep night shooting exposure estimates with film, I use the chart in the Kodak Pocket Photo Guide. And experience, based on trial and error. </p>

<p>No light meter does any better. </p>

<p>BTW: the Panasonic G1 also supports Bulb untimed exposures on Manual mode. It can make up to a four minute exposure. </p>

<p>Godfrey</p>