EOS XTI Power Source

robert_tan1

On the subject of batteries,i have seen a brand named Rayovac in BestBuy

selling 2 types of NiMH AA batteries:

Type 2500mAh that takes 3 hrs to recharge and

Type 2000mAh that takes only 15 minutes.

Which ones do i buy?

The shorter rechargeable time of 15 minutes seems more reasonable but has a

lower mAh.Is a higheer mAH really that important?

>> One an engineering side note here,which uses more electrical power to fully

charge the batteries?

15 mins for the 2000mAh or

3 hrs for the 2500mAh?

On calculation the short powering uses 30,000mAh and the longer ones uses a

whopping 450,000 mAh or did i miss out something on the calculations?

Do aklaline ones like Pure Energy stand up to the performance?The alkaline

ones take the same 3 hrs like the 2500mAh but i am not sure if they power up

to 25oomAh.Any insight into this will be entertaining for a boring Sunday

weekend here in Toronto!

You missed huge amounts.

A 3 hr charger charges at much lower current than a 15 minute charger. The capacity of the battery has no relation to the rate at which it's charged. That's determined by the charger.

Get NiMH. If you need fast charge, get fast charge. If you want more capacity, get the higher capacity.

Thanks a lot guys.The canon battery costs C$100 and for that amount of money,i can get a few NiMH batteries instead and put into my battery grip that houses 6 AAs.Lithium Ion do not exist in AAs but NiMH does it pretty well.If any of you are in USA or even Canada,could you recommend any good brands?There are many on the market and word of mouth from experienced users sure do a lot of good than half truth advertising in the stores and internet!

Replacement batteries for the XTi can be bought for ? USD 10 or less. Don't bother with the AA battery pack except for emergency situations when all batteries are flat. In that case you probably don't have the battery pack ready anyhow. BTW, I don't even know where the AA battery pack for my 5D is at the moment.

<cite>Do aklaline ones like Pure Energy stand up to the performance?</cite>

<p>No. Don't get me wrong; I like rechargeable alkalines, and I'm happy that these things use Canadian technology (albeit from a company that went bankrupt a few years ago) and that the specific brand you mention is Canadian, and I use them in a number of devices where I want alkaline voltage* and/or low self-discharge. But they provide less juice than single-use alkalines, and even single-use alkalines are not ideal for a high-drain device like a digital camera.</p>

<p>And I'd agree with the suggestion to look for a decent third-party Li-ion battery. I wouldn't suggest buying an unknown battery from an unknown vendor on eBay, but you can get a non-Canon battery from a reputable store for less than a Canon battery (granted, for much more than a set of AAs).</p>

<p>*: Yes, I know, under high load, the nominal 1.5 V of alkaline batteries drops closer to the nominal 1.2-1.25 V of nickel-based rechargeables. But there are plenty of things in this world that are low-load devices, and under low load, there <em>is</em> a potentially significant difference in voltage between alkaline and nickel-based rechargeables.</p>

Wow,thanks so much guys.Well,lesson learnt today is NiMH is better than alkaline..i am new to this cos i had an EOS 1000 that uses a Duracell 2CR5,i think, that costs me C$14 at Shopper's Drug Mart.Now i have to find alternative NiMH AAs that get recharged real quick and hold that charge for good use.No use having something that conks out real fast right?