EOS Utility-Can't Write to Folder?!

dan_spellman

<p>Hey guys,<br>

So I'm a young photographer who just finished his first paid photography job. Yay! So I get home and start to load the images onto my portable HD, which I usually do. After about 100 I'm told "Cannot write to selected folder. Select another folder." No idea why, since theres over 100GB availible. I think it might be some random quirk within the file structure, so I create a new folder within my portable HD - same message.</p>

<p>I try and save onto my laptop's HD itself - same message, even though that has free space too...</p>

<p>Freaking out!</p>

<p>The battery is half charged. I tried rebooting. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Dan S.</p>

<p>Robin and Wayne are right: Remove the card from the camera and plug it into either an external card reader or your computer's built-in card reader (if it has one). Your computer's OS, either Windows or Mac, should see the card as a removable-media drive, and you can upload your images directly without using EOS Utility.</p>

<p>It would be interesting to see if using the reader will cure the problem. I personally don't think so because every DSLR has the reader built-in and if it starts writing it is working as it should be. It could be that the image is corrupt and when it tries to copy that image to HD it chokes and you get that error. Notice on which image the error occurs and then uncheck that image so it is not included in the download. See if that helps.</p>

<p>This is odd. Like Ilya, I can't see why the reader would matter, but the EOS software might. Is the error message a Windows dialog or an EOS error message? that might be a clue.</p>

<p>In any case, it's easy enough to try an external reader.</p>

<p>Please post what you find out. Good luck.</p>

<p>I think the reader does matter, if for no other reason than the fact that uploads from a reader are faster than from the camera. In this case, though, a reader also serves to eliminate two possible sources of Dan's upload problem, the camera itself and the EOS Utility software. My reasoning is that it's critical to get the images uploaded and secured first. After that, there's plenty of time to troubleshoot the original problem...</p>

<p>"Cannot write to selected folder" sounds like it could be a security violation, or maybe you exceeded your quota of disk space. Sure, try the card reader. But as you know, many people do transfer their photos successfully using the USB cable, and at some point you (maybe with help from a PC expert) need to diagnose the original problem. If your PC is corrupting your security settings, other things will get corrupted too!</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>It is not the reader. I am having the same problem and I'm no newbie; I'm a hobbyist with a Computer Science background. I get the error message, "Cannot write to folder." using Canon EOS utility and the camera plugged in and "Adobe Bridge cannot finish downloading the selected files. Please make sure the device is connected properly and powered on." (paraphrased) when using Adobe Bridge CS5 with the card plugged into the computer not the camera. I was able to get the images up to _MG_166 and then was able to select 168 through 465 (the total) through Bridge and got the same message on _MG_256. Then Bridge Downloader kept not responding repeatedly. So I tried again with EOS Utility except now EOS Utility doesn't recognize that the camera is connected. And Bridge Downloader won't start up. Next step is to restart the computer, try again while tomorrow I will purchase an external card reader and try on the linux machine instead. I was using some updated version of Windows on an HP tower that's been making dying hard drive noises...Has anyone had a solution or similar download issue?</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>A possible cause and solution:<br>

Cause: The software is placing a file lock during folder access. Right click on the destination folder in file explorer and see if the folder is read only.<br>

Solution: Log on as administrator and try again</p>

<p>(Windows 7 Professional, EOS M2)</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>Sorry to necro this one, but I had similar issues, i.e. when using EOS utility, the download via USB would hang after 1 or two pictures.<br />I have Windows 7 (64bit) and the camera is 50D, CF card was/is ScanDisk 32GB, 120 MB/s. Reading the images via card reader works/worked ok.<br>

I tried to resolve this by</p>

<ol>

<li>Re-installing EOS utility + all EOS software, starting from the CDs and going to the latest and trying to download via USB the pictures. Same problems</li>

<li>Tried different USB ports and cables, and the problem still persisted.</li>

<li>Did the same with my laptop and the problem persisted.</li>

</ol>

<p>On a weekend trip the card gave some errors when shooting in burst mode, so I started thinking, that maybe the card is faulty.<br>

I bought a new similar card, as I had had before. I did some test shots and when using the USB download, it worked faultlessly on both my desktop and laptop.<br>

So I am assuming based on my tests, that if the card is getting faulty, then also the USB download will not work. So if the USB download stops working, I think this might be a good indication that the card might need to be replaced.<br>

I think this is good info to have, as this thread was the first I found when looking around for the solution.</p>