(EOS R) Can I focus -while- holding the Depth-of-Field Preview Button?

vanillaslice

Hey all,

I've been using the EOS-R for almost a year and now my only issue with the camera is being unable to focus while using DOF Preview. I've used Canons DSLRs in the past and used the feature frequently. I find it extremely beneficial being able to see what is exactly going to be in focus before I take the photo.

I'm aware that you need to bind DOF Preview to a button, and I've done that. However I'm not able to focus while holding the button down. Making it a really clunky process of repeatedly pressing it as I make adjustments to the focus. Is there anyway of keeping the lens stopped down while focusing?

It works in video mode, so I don't see why this shouldn't be available while taking photos. I am aware that the EOS R keeps the aperture fully open to make it easier for AF, MF, Exposure Simulation, ect...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Could you clarify "camera is being unable to focus while using DOF Preview."

I assume this means that - you are not able initiate "Auto Focus" from the button assigned to "AF" on the camera.

If yes to the above, then, can the issue be circumvented by focusing the Lens Manually?

WW

What I mean is when I am manually focusing, if I hold down the "DOF Preview" button, I am unable to adjust the focus.

It's very useful being able to adjust your focus (or depth of field) accurately. Rather than winging it with what shows up in the view finder, which is the widest possible aperture, or having to repeatedly release the button to readjust.

On my EOS R I have DOF preview assigned to the top button with a red dot, and if I hold it down while doing manual focus the focus works. However, the manual focus indicators do not work, so I have to zoom in and focus while holding down the DOF preview. This works in live view, or by zooming in while looking through the viewfinder.

Mary

• 4 months later...
Wish Canon had a Auto/Manual F-stop button and a manual F-Stop ring. But then lenses could be used as long as there were cameras to mount them to even when the electronic aperture fails.

M-mount lenses for Leica are completely manual, with aperture rings, focusing rings and depth of field scales for all full apertures. Voigtlander and Zeiss make reasonably-priced, high quality lenses in M-mount, and Fotodiox makes an M to R-mount adapter.

• Like 1