EOS lens adapter

<p>So, am I correct in that the only options if I want to use EOS lenses, and maintain auto aperture, are the NEX cameras?<br>

I realize that auto focus will be slow, but I wonder if there are adapters for Fuji X or Panasonic GX7 that will work like the Metabones adapter for the NEX6 or 7, and allow auto exposure without an awkward manual aperture exposure method?<br>

Thanks, <br>

JD</p>

<p>Considering the cost of the adapters, and the fact that you're still losing image stabilization, EXIF data, etc. then the best "adapter" for EOS lenses is simply an EOS camera. Both the SL1 and T5i have that hybrid autofocus system for live-view shooting. The SL1 is currently $550 which is about the same price as an adapter, and you now have full compatibility with EOS lenses.</p>

<p>Fred, there is no way that the Metabones adapter comes anywhere close in functionality (IS performance, autofocus speed) to Canon's on-sensor hybrid autofocus system, or even their standard autofocus. Joseph seems to want full functionality of Canon lenses, and far and away the best option is a Canon camera. The SL1 is only $499. The EOS M with Canon adapter also gives you full functionality, albeit with slower autofocus performance. Bonus points if, depending on your needs, you can make due with a used T3i, 50D, etc. </p>

<p>The Metabones adapter makes sense for videographers that already may have a full cinematographic setup in something like a GH3 with array of ancillary gear, but need a specific lens for a shot. But, Joseph clearly is not tied to any specific brand, and it isn't clear whether he is interested in still photography or video.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>OK...follow up on this question after some hands-on testing.<br>

I was able to borrow both an NEX6 & 7 and bought a Viltrox EF to NEX adapter.<br>

Auto aperture worked fine, IS worked OK, but the auto focus really sucked. Very slow when it worked, with lots of hunting, and some lenses simply wouldn't focus at all.<br>

My conclusion was the NEX system just didn't tick enough boxes for me so I bought an EOS M. In spite of it's somewhat quirky behavior at times I think I'll be very happy with my choice. The M, in my very simple comparisons (admittedly of only two samples of NEX cameras) while a bit slower focusing with its native lenses, the image quality seemed noticeably better. I was really disappointed with the quality of the Sony 16-50 kit zoom. With EF/EF-S lenses and an adapter the difference is night and day. The M focuses almost as rapidly, I'd say just as rapidly in some cases, as the M mount lenses. A nice bonus is that I don't have to buy into a new flash system. <br>

I also appreciate the fact that the menus are close to what I'm already used to working with.<br>

At the current prices the EOS M has got to be one of the biggest bargains out there. If you're contemplating one I think you'll be pleased, the handling isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people, many of whom I suspect have never actually handled one of the things, would have you believe.<br>

JD</p>