EOS Digital Rebel 300D Abobe Camera Raw

50d-boy

You can always use Canon's RAW converter (free). It's not that bad. It may be a little slower, but the results are excellent.

Or you could use something like BreezeBrowser which is a hell of a lot cheaper than PS CS or even the update, and also does an excellent job.

There is a good (and cheap) solution to this problem: I bought PhaseOne's Capture One Rebel Edition (Short C1 Rebel). It is a "scaled down" version of C1, but it has all the things necessary for getting good JPEGs out of the RAW files from an EOS 300D. It is possible to adjust WB and exposure after shooting the image, to an extension to approx. +/-1 fstop without loss of precision (the Canon RAW data contains nearly one fstop reserve for overexposure!).

The RAW format of the EOS 300D differs from that of an EOS 10D, so programms designed for other Canon RAW formats do not recognize the EOS 300D RAW format - but there will soon be a solution, because the adaption can not be that difficult.

You can see some of my images on

http://www.familie-farr.de/HomeGallery/Fotoindex.htm

(the page is in German)

Greetings,

Axel Farr

I still don't see what's wrong with the (free) Canon software. Am I the only person who uses it? Granted it may be somewhat slower in showing previews, but unless you're correcting and coverting hundreds of images a day, that's not a huge problem. The actual RAW conversion time isn't very different from the 3rd party programs and the results seem to be very similar indeed, at least from my tests of the Canon software vs. trial versions of the others I've tried.

The problem with the canon software is that it is SLOW in generating previews. Plus the program works in discrete steps.

With C1, the manipultations are done on the previews without RAW manipultation. Plus, the manipulations use sliders for exposure comp, color comp etc. The biggest benefit of C1 is that it allows a curves adjustment which the canon and PS elements does not allow.

For the final conversion of images from RAW to tiff or JPEG, both C1 and the canon software are somewhat slow, but at that point you work in a batch mode and can let the computer work while you grab a coffee.

I am sure that photoshop CS is good, but considering it costs more than a 70-200/4L . . and has restrictive copy protection. . .that is a no go for the likes of I.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave or Anybody else,

I am trying to tweak the Camera Raw plugin to work for 300D, with no success. Can someone help? Going by the instructions I replaced the EOS D60 with EOS DIGITAL REBEL. Didnt work. Can someone guide me how to do this? If you can send me a screenshot of the hex screen that would be great.

Thanks in advance.