EOS bodies for Infrared film?

michael_riggs

I am looking at getting an EOS body to do infrared work with since my Elan 7

will fog IR film. I figure this will be more economical than borrowing/renting

dad's A1 system (happy Father's Day by the way) and save space. Does anybody

have experience with such a camera or know which ones to use?

In my opinion the cheapest convenient option for this is the 10/10s, though its exposure

compensation interface is pretty lousy. However, now that film camera prices are plunging,

maybe a used 1N or 1V might work for you.

<P>

I've wrriten a whole article on the subject, incidentally.

<P>

<A HREF="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/" > http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/

</A>

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/

The following cameras use mechanical sprocket counters and do not fog IR film. I don�t

believe any of these models ever shipped with pressure plates with holes in them, but I

don�t know for certain for each model. Let me know if I�m wrong about any of these. (see

the note about the 10 QD below, in the �where� section)

EOS 1, 1 HS, 1 N, 1N RS, 1N DP, 10 (10S, 10QD), 600 (630), 620, 650, 700, 750, 850, RT,

10 QD.

The following cameras use mechanical sprocket counters, but have cutouts in the pressure

plate and thus are vulnerable to the secondary problem. (see the note about 600-series

models below, in the �what� section)

EOS 630 QD, 650 QD, 700 QD, 750 QD, 1000 (Rebel), 1000F (Rebel S), EOS 1000 QD, EOS

1000F QD (Rebel S Quartz Date), 1000N (Rebel II), 1000FN (Rebel S II), EOS 1000FN QD,

1000S QD, 1000S QD-P, EF-M.

The following cameras use IR diodes for sprocket hole-counting and so fog IR film. Some

also have pressure plate cutouts for good measure. Still others (the newer Rebel-type

cameras) have parallel grooves cut into their pressure plates, making matters still worse

for HIE photography.

EOS 100 (Elan, 100 QD, 100 panorama), 5 (A2, A2E, 5 QD), 50 (Elan II), 50E (Elan II E), 55,

500 (Rebel XS, Kiss), Rebel X, 500N (Rebel G, New Kiss), 5000 (888), 3, 30 (Elan 7E, EOS 7),

33 (Elan 7), 300 (Rebel 2000, Kiss III), 3000 (88), 30V (Elan 7EN, EOS 7S), 33V (Elan 7N),

300V (Rebel Ti, Kiss 5).

The following camera uses an IR diode but it�s shielded in such a way that it isn�t

supposed to fog IR film: EOS 1 V.

Thanks for the info. I checked out a 650 at a local camera shop and it looks decent. The kid working the counter said I couldn't use IR film because of the DX coding device (?) and film window on the back (?). I had to reiterate a few times what my research on this subject yielded.

<p>If you're digging that far back in the EOS line, do some research about the rubbery goo that messes up the shutters on some older EOS bodies. I don't recall which models are subject to this, but some of the older models use some sort of rubber compound which softens with time and eventually coats the shutter blades. It's not fatal; it can be cleaned. Just something to watch out for on older bodies.</p>

"Use Konica 750 film, it will work on all EOS film bodies. Ilford also makes SFX film that will also work. These films are also much easier to handle."

Both discontinued. Also, they don't produce the effect HIE does. I am trying the new Rollie 820c film and I do a bit of color IR work as well. Film junkie here. Now I just need the time off work for my hobby.

One error I have found. The EOS 10 in not compatible with IR. According to Compendium "Handbook of the Canon System" (ISBN 1897802048) page 85 the infrared diode on the EOS 10(10s) "precludes the use of infrared film". Inspection of an EOS 10 revealed the diode.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
I know that this is an old thread, but I hope I can find an answer here anyway. I just bought a 10s because of its infrared capabilities, but then when I open it up, i dont see a sprocket drive system, and I do see what looks like an infrared LED. I am going to put some HIE through it (though I am leary to do so since it has been discontinued), but does anyone have any idea why I would have the IR LED in my 10s ?