EOS 7D - Have Canon excelled themselves?

oofoto

<p>The 7D looks to be many a photographers dream with its high sensitivity ISO, 8fps, 18MP sensor, full HD video with manual control and AF, 1N style environmental protection, pro cross type AF, 100% viewfinder, integrated wireless flash and all with realistic pricing.<br />For once Canon appear to have given all they have with no features retained for the succesive model. A refreshing response I feel.</p>

<ul>

<li>18MP APS-C CMOS sensor </li>

<li>8 frames per second continuous shooting </li>

<li>1080p HD video recording with manual controls </li>

<li>3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots </li>

<li>19-point AF system (all cross-type) </li>

<li>1.0x magnification and 100% coverage viewfinder </li>

<li>Wireless flash control </li>

<li>Environmental sealing </li>

</ul>

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I think the choice of model number is very significant and may indicate a shift in Canon policy to push the state of the art in more dimensions for pro and prosumer segments. If 7D represents "best-in-class APS-C", 5D is "best-in-class fine art", and 1D is "best-in-class full-size body", then it would make sense, in light of competition from Nikon, to introduce one more tier to the xD series, namely a 3D which would be "best-in-class compact full-frame" cameras. This may be wishful thinking, but it would be great if Canon were to align this way to competition because Canon users would not only have even more tiers to choose from than we do today, we'd see less differentiation by withheld features than by form factor and mechanical performance. The single digit number also suggests to me that we'd see more of a stream of incremental improvements than disruptive leaps in the future.</p>

<p>Yes 7D makes sense as full frame cameras would only fall between 1 and 5 in the EOS lineup. I think the 7D paves the way for the 3D although I really don't know who would buy the 1D series if it was released to the same spec as the 7D.<br>

Canon users can thank Nikon for forcing this aggressive release from Canon. </p>

<p>FINALLY a better AF system. I couldn't give a rat's behind regarding 18mp. But the new AF system makes me take notice.<br>

Hopefully, the high ISO noise is under control.<br>

Hey. . .did I just read that this camera can control remote flashes?<br>

Unfortunately, the price is a bit of a non-starter (even *I* have limits on price :) ). It signifies a new price class for these cameras. This is definately aimed at the D300 market.</p>

<p>The new focus system a of the 7D suggest Canon do listen. The next 5D / 5D Mk II will no doubt go this way too. My only reason for selling my 5D, after 3.5 years of very good service, was that my tired old eyes just would not allow me to nail the focus of moving objects with the 5D; my fault, not the cameras. A more 'advanced' focus system may have helped me out. Good on you Canon. One day I may be able to capture my son scoring a try with his face in focus! (Happens so rarely I do not get much practice....)</p>

<p>Redone metering, acceleration sensor, dual-axis (pitch and roll) horizon, VF grid display, orientation-sensitive AF point preselection, zone AF (a group of AF points) etc. Goodies galore!<br>

What I don't understand is the lack of line level audio input and manual gain control for audio. There also appears to be no continous audio recording while in still photo mode (for getting environmental and reference sound - very useful...) And of course 16 bit audio is subpar comparing to the superb 30fps 1080p video. Not sure about voice annotation for stills (there appears to be a microphone on the back of the camera so perhaps it's there...a very useful feature I use every day on 1D/1Ds.)<br>

(Yeah, I know...nitpicking, after all it is a still camera first, but all these audio-related changes would add just a few bucks to the cost. And using a separate audio rig is a major PITA and defies the purpose of using such a small camera for video...)<br>

One can only imagine the goodies on the next 1D/1Ds...</p>

<p>LOLOL so we're at the point now of not criticising the image capture ability but the subpar audio of a DSLR.. I know I know technology moves forward.<br>

I suppose you might have a point though Michael, the EOS BIRD (aka 7D) should have audio for environmental reference sound.</p>

<p>For all of you wondering how the camera manages the High ISOs, check this link out:<br>

<a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239">http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239</a></p>

<p>At the very end, you will see link of images shot at 3200/6400/12800 from both the 7D and the 5D, for comparison purposes.</p>

<p>In my personal opinion, this new camera proves to be the next big thing. Think I'll be getting one as soon as it comes out into the market.</p>

<p>Erwin Marlin.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I suppose you might have a point though Michael, the EOS BIRD (aka 7D) should have audio for environmental reference sound.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I speak only for myself but I'm frequently asked why I have a mic attached to the hot shoe on the 1Ds3/1D3: I connect it to a portable CF recorder for getting reference sound when voice annotation is not enough.<br />And I always use a separate rig for video sound with the 5D2 because even with "third leg" solutions (Beechtek) the audio part is so-so. Granted, Canon has apparently bumped up the sampling rate of the 7D to 48 kHz but still at 16 bit. I'd rather have a 24 bit 48 or 96 kHz track.<br />One good thing is that the video frame rate conforms now to the standard (i.e. it is 29.97 fps, not 30 fps.) The 30 fps nonsense on the 5D2 makes editing mixed source "30 fps" video a PITA.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>2 sample videos</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nice, very "Canon..." Oh, what a battery of fast lenses and a freak show of camera supports and focus assist doodads can do... And quite a workout for the 90 T/S lens :-)))<br>

Makes me wonder whether the new processors are powerful enough to deliver HD feed via HDMI port while shooting (would be awesome for focus pulling!)</p>