EOS 6D Basic Auto Focus Settings Question

Where do I find the auto focus setting where I can press the shutter release ½ way, focus on my subject, and recompose my shot without losing my original focal point?

Oh, and hi guys. It's been a really long time since I've been here. I keep forgetting this is the best site. I impatiently await your replies. And please hurry.

To allow HALF DEPRESS SHUTTER RELEASE to hold FOCUS, you need to ensure that the "AF - ON" button is "DISABLED".

To disable the "AF-ON" button you need to go to the "CUSTOM FUNCTIONS" in your menu and select "DISABLE" for AF - ON Button: this will probably be in a set of Custom Functions which controls both the SHUTTER RELEASE and the AF-ON button.

I do not have 6D, nor the user manual handy - but - if I interpret your question correctly and I assume that you are using a Creative Mode -(i.e Av Tv P or M), your Half Depress Shutter Release is NOT holding focus because the AF-ON button is engaged. (i.e the camera's Custom Functions are set up for some version of "Back Button Focus").

WW

Where do I find the auto focus setting where I can press the shutter release ½ way, focus on my subject, and recompose my shot without losing my original focal point?

'One Shot' is the AF mode you are looking for. In this mode, 1/2 press of the shutter button will activate the AF. Once focus is obtained, leave the button halfway down, and recompose. You will likely want to set the camera to use 'single-point AF', setting the center AF point, as that way you precisely control what the camera will focus on. The only disadvantage (if you can call it that) is that the shutter will not open if the camera hasn't achieved focus.

• Like 1

'One Shot' is the AF mode you are looking for. In this mode, 1/2 press of the shutter button will activate the AF. . ...

For Clarity -

Agree that using "ONE SHOT" AF Mode is the answer. I think that I did not interpret the question the same way as Marcus Ian did. Be aware that once setting "One Shot" AF Mode, the "AF-ON" still requires setting to "Disable" in the Custom Functions.

WW