EOS 5Dmk2 advanced audio control.

paul_russell1

<p>Press release sent to me from Harry Kaufmann at Beachtek:</p>

<p>"KELOWNA, CANADA – April 9th, 2009 – BeachTek is happy to announce their new DXA-5D XLR adapter that has been highly anticipated for the Canon 5D Mark II camera. The DXA-5D provides an easy way to connect professional microphones and other audio gear to this popular camera. This adapter brings a whole new functionality to the Canon 5D Mark II that was previously unavailable. It is now possible to capture professional sound with control and monitoring ability. The suggested list price of the DXA-5D is $379.00 in the United States. Expected shipping date is May 26th, 2009<br /> The DXA-5D features dual transformer-balanced XLR inputs with phantom power and built-in level meters. In addition, the built-in headphone jack allows the user to monitor the audio – a feature missing on this camera. The trim controls allow the user to dial in the proper signal levels for optimum recording quality. <br /> Most importantly, is the unique AGC Disable function which was the most sought after feature by users of this camera. The AGC Disable circuit is activated by a switch which controls the wild swings of the Auto Gain Control in the camera to reduce the hiss generated by the preamplifiers during quiet moments of recording. It works by sending a high frequency inaudible tone to the left channel of the camera. This feature greatly decreases the camera noise which has always been a problem in the past. <br /> The DXA-5D also provides an unbalanced mini-jack input for many wireless receivers that use mini-plug connectors. There is an additional mic level output jack for connecting the adapter to external audio recorders such as the popular Sony PCM-D50 when very high quality recording is required. The LCD display shows the state of the various switches and battery life, as well as a vu meter that shows the audio levels from - 54dBu to -33dBu. This allows the user to verify the proper recording levels and eliminates any guesswork.<br /> BeachTek is the original and most popular maker of XLR adapters for DV camcorders. The company specializes in making unique audio accessories for demanding video professionals.<br /> BeachTek is located in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. For additional information on BeachTek or the products that they offer, including full specifications on the DXA-5D, visit their web site at www.beachtek.com or call (416) 690-9457."</p><div>00T1R6-123549584.thumb.jpg.961cf801a9a3f0aa6509aa63b1c0a7fd.jpg</div>

<p>This very valuable information. At last, I can understand how the AGC override works. Previously, I didn't see how this would be possible. Still, it seems a little problemmatic: wouldn't the high-frequency, high-level tone that tricks the AGC to stay out of the way also cause the analog-digital conversion to overload? It would be great to hear from BeachTek product users with experience with any other products that work by the same principle.</p>

<p>Puppy Face,<br>

You don't fully understand or comprehend the total market for the 5D. It has some incredible video capabilities only equalled by professional HD cameras costing thousands of dollars more yet it is also encumbered by some glaring design shortcomings. The DXA-5D overcomes some serious audio limitations inherent in the basic product. Non-video photographers can't seem to get past the fact the 5D is more than a still camera.</p>

<p>Why doesn't Canon release a video camera with the sensor and the EF mount, costing about the same as a 5d2 but without the flapping mirror and including better audio capabilities (and in the shape of a video camera, not an SLR)?<br>

Marketing the 5d2, or even using it, as a professional video camera seems a bit... odd to me. I tend to think of the 5d2's video as the equivalent of that in my little Ixus - its there for clips, very useful too!<br>

But yes, Charles you're right I don't know the market and don't even own a video camera (or a 5d2 for that matter).</p>