EOS 5D I RAW shooters

oofoto

<p>At risk of getting my wrist slapped for posting in the wrong forum I'd like to ask 5D I shooters which RAW conversion software they prefer and why.<br>

I'm using LR 2.4 but have am thinking of digging my DPP disk out and trying that for no other reason than to rule one or the other out of my workflow.<br>

Moderator, please move to digital darkroom if deemed appropriate where I can get the best of both worlds.</p>

I have used DPP and currently LR 1.0. Simple answer? I'd stick with LR :) The interface is very like a darkroom or typical photo printer. That resonates with me, because I cut my teeth shooting film and shadowing the print guy at work ;-)

<p>LR also has very powerful tools not available in DPP. I haven't tried LR2, nor am I in a hurry to. there is so much still to discover with LR1. I actually now use LR for 90% of my wedding photo processing, with the remainder in Photoshop when I need pin point control.

<p>I use Adobe Photoshop plus Bridge (CS3). Nary a problem. However, the advantage of the DPP software is double<br>

1. It will always do whatever RAW you have, you won't need to buy a $600 new version when you buy a new camera, just install the software that comes with the camera. I really don't know if CS3 would handle a Canon 5D mk ii RAW file if I replaced my old 5D, for example.<br>

2. Which brings us to the major advantage of DPP and the rest of the Canon suite: <em><strong>It comes with the camera</strong> </em> .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>have am thinking of digging my DPP disk</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, do it (download the lastest updates from Canon.) and see for yourself. You may like the differences esp. in reds and yellows, but only if your output chain is calibrated: otherwise you may as well shoot in-camera JPEGS.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

For me it depends on the output: For JPEG's to be viewed on a monitor or shared DPP is fast and gives me the colors and contrast I want. For prints I use either DPP or Raw Shooter Premium, DPP is easiest but RSP will give me a bit more detail and exposure headroom at the expense of needing to work more on color and contrast. As a result I use both and pick the best output. I tend to use RSP for shots with very fine detail and if I need to recover more highlight detail.</p>

<p>I prefer Aperture most of the time: flexible workflow, nice built-in file organizer, great tools, intuitive interface and great IQ. HOwever I still use DPP for high ISO (has better NR) and sunsets. Didn't care much for ACR and LR.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I shoot with both 5D's and 5DmII's and use Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4. Both programs have no problems working with the new 5DmII's files in fact I have to look at the metadata sometimes to even know which cameras the photos came from. As far as your workflow that depends on how many photos you process. I use Lightroom 2 as my main cataloging, sorting and initial image processing software and then farm images out to Photoshop and other programs for processing that lightroom cannot accomplish. My workflow is smooth and organized and capable of handling hundreds to even a couple of thousand images on a daily basis. I wouldn't think of trying to throw some software that came with my cameras into the mix when Lightroom handles so many things so well including raw processing. I do convert all my raw images into Adobes DNG files so Canons raw processor would do me no good anyway. DNG files are easier to work with (no chance of misplacing xmp sidecar files) and I know they will be supported far into the future. The only advantage I see to Canons software that ships with the camera is if you are doing aerial photography and both flying the airplane and running the camera. You could mount the camera and then control the camera from a laptop.</p>

<p>I like Adobe Camera Raw (via Adobe Bridge interface). My dirty secret is to just let ACR auto-correct everthing first time round. Then if it backfires, or I want to get more serious about an image, I might try manual adjustment.</p>

<p>I don't think it really matters what camera you're using, ie: ACR is not more suited to the 5D or any other body, fwiw.</p>

<p>There are differences between DPP and Lightroom (and Adobe Camera Raw) in handling of color and detail. If you like the Canon "picture styles", Lightroom gets very close, but some people find that DPP does better (not unexpected). I prefer to work up each image from scratch, so this isn't an issue here. In terms of detail, LR suppresses luminance Moire at the expense of slight color artifacting. (See the link below.) I much prefer the LR handling of detail, since I think that the Moire is destroying detail. With LR, one sees much further into the center of the chart before things go crazy, and when it loses it, it loses it in a less obnoxious manner. In my opinion, this one is a slam dunk for LR, but there are people who prefer the DPP rendition. This image is with the 5D. With the 5D2, it's a similar, but less blatant, story.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/106728205/original">http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/106728205/original</a></p>

<p>I too was frustrated with so many different work flows:</p>

<p>I now only shoot RAW and use Aperture for all editing / cataloging.<br>

Their Highlight blackpoint and exposure controls are brilliant, and so simple. Clone stamp for dust removal very quick and very good<br>

I wanted a software package that could do 90% of my everyday tasks without compromising the original RAW files as well as a simple yet brilliant cataloguing package. It was either Lightroom or Aperture.<br>

The only weakness is processing their photobooks, I use Blurb for that from the converted Jpegs, and have been very happy - Apple have changed (improved) their printers since I first used them, but still dont like the layout format of their photobooks<br>

<p>>I have promised that I will buy Noise ninja as an aperture plugin to keep the work flow going.<br>

But so far have been frustrated because of the extra cost of having to buy the professional package. This is a necessity for me, it just grates me that Mac users have to buy the expensive package only.<br>

I considered Genuine Fractals as an Aperture plugin, but I have not really had sufficient need to justify the $300 outlay (again professional version).</p>

</p>

<p>>Additionally I use DPP lens distortion function for the 17-40mm lens shots that need it.<br>

>I then use photoshop 7 for any text / promotional editing and for excessive clone / stamp tool work, after conversion from RAW in Aperture.</p>

<p>Good luck and hope you get to stick with a system that continues to grow with you without costing an arm and a leg.</p>

<p>I use two 5D's (not 5D II) and have both DPP v3.6.1 & Photoshop CS4 64bit.<br>

I get the best image quality in DPP (mostly better sharpness, and color)<br>

I use Photoshop for photo merge, cropping with rotate, and for a occasional PS filter.<br>

Otherwise all processing in DPP.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I come home from shoots with hundreds of images to go through and I use Lightroom 1.4, it's incredibly efficient and a very powerful programme. I tried LR 2.0 but wasn't tempted to upgrade. I can do pretty much everything in Lightroom, whether I shoot RAW or JPEG, and I only really use Photoshop for retouching.</p>