EOS 5D clone battery grip

NK Guy

eBay sellers are now advertising a Chinese-made battery grip clone for the EOS 5D. Has anyone tried one?

What material is it made from? Build quality?

It seems interesting, but not massively cheaper than the already fairly expensive Canon original. Thanks!

I agree with Mark, the original grip is superb with the two batteries I tend to get between 500 - 600 exposures. The controls when shooting vertically are great and it makes the camera well balanced when using with a long lens.

I would not risk damaging your camera by sticking a 3rd party grip on board - for safety sake.

Compared to the grip for the 20D/30D, the BG-E4 is flippin' fine. The magnesium body lends

a solid feel and textured rubber on all touch surfaces including battery door make for a sure

grip. My plastic20D grip feels kinda cheap and flexes. Plus no rubber on the battery door. I

think the BG-E4 is worth the extra bread if it

fits your shooting style. The vertical release is a bit of a hairtrigger but you'll get used to it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

>>However, I admit I was more looking for someone who'd actually tried the clone product<<

Do a SEARCH, there was a post not long ago (maybe 4 months or so) where a poster with a 5D did buy one of those clones and didn't work. I remember personally saying that buying the 5D and fussing over a few bucks saving for the grip was not a bright idea, given the risks. But, to each his own.

>>since I'm pretty good at speculation and guessing myself!<<

And, what have you guessed?

I did a "SEARCH" (sic) earlier. Lots of people talking about the Opteka grip for the 20D. The

5D clone grip is a fairly new product, and I don't know if it's made by the same manufacturer

as the 20D grip.