EOS 550D versus EOS 600D.

keith_tapscott

<p>Now that the real question has been answered, I can say that one of the important differences between the 600D and the 550D is that the former has fifty more units in its name. :P</p>

<p>Do not underrate the appeal of having a later and higher number.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>JDM ~ Hi, can you please explain/define your comment<br />q""Do not underrate the appeal of having a later and higher number.""q</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Haha! Good one! We need a little dry humor on these boards!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>It's a joke, but obviously not a very good one, if your question is real.</p>

<p>People want the latest thing which most people feel will be better than the older thing.</p>

<p>"New and Improved" is the motto since the earliest advertising. Probably was used to describe the latest oil burning lamp in ancient Rome.</p>

As someone who uses a 500D, I suspect that the thing that might tempt me to upgrade to one these would be the fact

that the pop-up flash on the 600D can be used as a wireless master, to control other off-camera flashguns. I think

that's a significant feature.

<p>I have to agree with Tom & I.L. (although I certainly don't oppose humor), some people complain about the plastic body in comparison to the magnesium- but for people like myself, I carry my camera for long lengths at a time so the extra weight can be a pain in the arse. It does'nt feel cheap & light compared to the XSi I recently sold, I also currently own a Nikon D90, the 600D is still heavier than both those models (esp the XSi). That being said, I did a lot of research trying to decide between the 550D & the 600D & though they are very similiar, the extra $175 was worth the additional features for me. Cheers~ oh, btw- I'm not certain of this, but I have heard people mention that if you own a 550D & want to upgrade & you don't mind waiting, the 650d is expected to come out in a year or so. Good luck! </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies and the humorous one's about the difference of 50 digits are appreciated as well. :-)</p>

<p>I don't use digital much for stills and I definitely wont be spending the extra cost for a 60D or 7D.<br /> It is the abilty for HD video that appeals to me mostly. I already have a good selection of Canon EF series lenses.</p>

<p>For video, I would find the rotating LCD invaluable. However, if you don't have any experience with them yet, it's important to understand that shooting video with a DSLR is NOT the same thing as shooting video with a dedicated video camera. I'd recommend trying it out before buying it. </p>