EOS 40D Sample Photos

cgo

As I've said before, I don't think you can tell anything unless you have side by side shots taken with a 20D/30D and 40D showing the same scene with the same lighting and exposure (and using the same lens I guess).

You can't "remember" what the noise looks like with a different camera shooting a different scene with a different exposure and compare it to an imgage you look at on the web.

The only way you could do a comparison like that would be with shots of a gray card, and even then it's better to take the shots in the same place at the same time under the same lighting

It is a good upgrade from the 10D, no doubt you'll be happy with your new 40D.

I have to say that my XTi doesn't look so much better than my 10D. I have been looking at RAW and in-camera jpgs from both cameras and I was expecting more of a jump in quality between the XTi and my old 10D. There is a HUGE difference in image quality between my 10D and my 5D, of course.

Specifically, even noise performance on the XTi it's not so much better than the 10D. It *is* marginally cleaner but, I can see how the mp size VS sensor size VS total number may be starting to come into play.

" Specifically, even noise performance on the XTi it's not so much better than the 10D. It *is*

marginally cleaner but, I can see how the mp size VS sensor size VS total number may be

starting to come into play."

I don't know, but I think Canon short changed the Xti when it comes to noise reduction at

high ISO. I have both a 20D and xTi and it seems that the 20D is better.

If those samples

mean anything, the 40D has much cleaner photos at high ISO.

In regard to noise I think the problem is just he 1.6 sensor size. The 1.6 sensor is less then 40% the size of full frame. The 1.6 sensors are even smaller then APS film was.

The more pixels you pack into that small area the more of a battle it is to keep noise down. More pixels force smaller pixels, which in turn gives you more noise.

I like the cropping factor for use with telephoto lenses, but the 1.6 crop cameras are always a battle with noise. Shoot at ISO 100 or 200 and they are good. Even 400 is not too bad, mostly grainy. The 800 & 1600 has been too noisy on other 1.6 crop bodies.

I do not see any improvement in the images I have seen so far on the 40D as for noise. I hope final release cameras are better. The improved focusing of the 40D is most welcome.