Eos 400d Error 5, but flash does open

Elin Larsson

Hi!

My Canon Eos 400d shows Error 5 (flash cannot be opened). But the flash DOES pop up just fine.

I have tried turn the camera off and on again, and also cleand the microswitch. Still not working.. What do i do?

Have anyone had the same problem and knows how to fix it?

Would really appreciate some help!

Click the link to watch my video of the problem;

Regards, Elin

. . .My Canon Eos 400d shows Error 5 (flash cannot be opened). But the flash DOES pop up just fine. . . I have . . . cleand the microswitch. . .

Check that you have cleaned the correct micro-switch and that this micro-switch is actually working properly – and please report back. <br><br>

Explanation: <br><br>

The camera determines if the PuF is raised (or not) by a small spring loaded switch. This switch is located on the Right Hand Side underneath and to the rear of the PuF as you look at the front of the camera (where the lens is mounted). This might be the micro-switch which you have cleaned. (However there is another micro-switch located in the Flash Mount Hot-shoe and the two are sometimes confused.) <br><br>

Importantly, it is the first micro-switch that I mentioned which needs to be working properly so that you do not get the ERR 05 message and even if you have cleaned it, you need to check that it is popping up correctly: I should sit up about 2mm when the Pop Up Flash is in the raised position. <br><br>

See the below image for illustrative clarity; it is a view from the side of the camera and in this image the micro-switch is in the correct "popped-up" position for the flash to activate normally: <br><br>

18358421-orig.jpg <br><br>

If this small spring loaded sticks and does not pop up, EVEN IF Flash pops up, then "Err 05" will be shown after there are three cycles of attempts by the camera to raise the flash that it thinks is not already raised. <br><br>

Often a simple bouncing of the switch with your finger tip will loosen it and restore functionality. I have cleaned some with a spray can of electronic cleaner or by using isopropyl alcohol applied on a cotton tip. <br><br>

WW

• Like 1

If you still can't get it working after playing around with the microswitch, an external flash can be a work around and is an improvement over the on-camera flash. There is a range of options from genuine Canon or going with a third party flash like a Yongnuo, Neewer...vs paying Canon to fix the flash. Also, consider an external flash can move to your next camera.
Cheers, Mark

Omg i love you so much, this actually worked!! You have no idea how much i've tried to clean that other switch, like crazy. I had almost lost hope! :)

Check that you have cleaned the correct micro-switch and that this micro-switch is actually working properly – and please report back. <br><br>

Explanation: <br><br>

The camera determines if the PuF is raised (or not) by a small spring loaded switch. This switch is located on the Right Hand Side underneath and to the rear of the PuF as you look at the front of the camera (where the lens is mounted). This might be the micro-switch which you have cleaned. (However there is another micro-switch located in the Flash Mount Hot-shoe and the two are sometimes confused.) <br><br>

Importantly, it is the first micro-switch that I mentioned which needs to be working properly so that you do not get the ERR 05 message and even if you have cleaned it, you need to check that it is popping up correctly: I should sit up about 2mm when the Pop Up Flash is in the raised position. <br><br>

See the below image for illustrative clarity; it is a view from the side of the camera and in this image the micro-switch is in the correct "popped-up" position for the flash to activate normally: <br><br>

18358421-orig.jpg <br><br>

If this small spring loaded sticks and does not pop up, EVEN IF Flash pops up, then "Err 05" will be shown after there are three cycles of attempts by the camera to raise the flash that it thinks is not already raised. <br><br>

Often a simple bouncing of the switch with your finger tip will loosen it and restore functionality. I have cleaned some with a spray can of electronic cleaner or by using isopropyl alcohol applied on a cotton tip. <br><br>

WW

g

• Like 2

• 7 months later...