Eos 3 battery life - won't have access to lithium batteries for months at a time

jeffery_pool

Can anyone tell me what the average battery life of the Eos-3 with the 2Cr5

batteries is? I'm considering this as a travel camera, and won't have access

to high quality lithium batteries for more than a few months at a time, and

will always pack spares but don't want to have to carry a satchel of 300

everywhere I go especially since space is already tight and I am travelling as

light as I can in respect to equipment. (Leaving the medium format at home!)

Does cold weather kill higher quality 2CR5's as it does my Maxxum camera with

2CR5 Duracells which last all of 30 minutes in freezing temps? I won't take an

AA grip as I hate the extra bulk and weight. Probably won't be using an IS

lens while abroad. On the same topic, what are some high quality Cr5's that

won't let me down? I dread being caught in some mountain pass with dead

batteries.

Thought of getting an all mechanical body like the Nikon Fm2n but collectors

prices for lenses and bodies is keeping me away. Also thought of Leica

rangefinders, but rangefinders really aren't for me. Thanks!

I've not used it in cold weather, but my experience is that the 2CR5's don't last long in the EOS-3. 15-20 rolls, more or less.

Have you tried the BP-E1 grip? This isn't the power booster, it just lets you use 4AAs. It doesn't add that much weight or bulk, certainly a lot less than the power booster does. I use rechargeable NiMH AAs and they last fairly long. Alkaline AAs do OK, too.

"I've not used it in cold weather, but my experience is that the 2CR5's don't last long in the

EOS-3. 15-20 rolls, more or less."

I concur with the above and gave up on the 2CR5 after a couple tries. Lithium AAs last

about 90-100 rolls in the PB-E2.

No batteries last very long in freezing temps. Normally you keep a warm spare in your

pocket and switch off.

I think you can still find new a new FM3A although they ain't cheap. Hmm, I've bought lots

of minty Nikon AI or AIS on ebay and gargage sales for dirt cheap the last few years.

Hardly collectable prices...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hello Jeffery:

I have used my EOS 3 with two, non IS, L lenses in temperatures down to -30 C. I have not had a battery (nor any other) problem so far. I use the BP-E1 with nimh rechargeable batteries plus a Cr5 (which is loaded into the portion of the BP-E1 that slides onto the camera body grip). The BP-E1 has a switch enabling power to be fed from the AA batteries or from the Cr5. This allows you to keep shooting, if need be, until you can change the AAs. You can also get spare AA battery trays for the BP-E1 so you can pre- load the trays, carry them in a warm pocket and pop them in the BP-E1 in the field with little fuss. If you need to recharge in the field where there is no power, solar battery chargers are available. I have never used one so I cannot comment on their effectiveness.

Note that the BP-E1 does not have camera controls (shutter button, AE Lock Button or control wheel) nor does it increase shooting speed. If you need these functions use you may want to consider a PB-E1 (no control wheel) or PB-E2 (shutter button, AE lock button and control wheel).

A very important cold weather consideration (which you probably already know) is that you must zip the cold camera equipment into a case before you go into a heated environment. If you don?t, moisture from the warmer air will condense on your camera and lens. This moisture may actually freeze leaving a layer of frost/ice over your entire camera/lens assembly. This will coat any glass and may effect the proper function of camera control interfaces. If it happens it will take the camera out of service until the moisture is removed - - keep this in mind if you want to duck into a heated tent for a quick hot coffee.

Cheers! Jay

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take the BP-E1 on the second body as backup. I'll be taking a ton of 2cr5's and a few lithium AA's (which ive figured will work in the bp-e1 without frying the camera) as back up. Not really interested in lugging around rechargable AA's and a recharger kit.

Definitely sounds like the BP-E1 for you... Don't get it confused with the PB-E1 (why do they make the names so similar?)

Only other option (but I think you ruled it out already, certainly rechargeables you did):

...is the rechargeable 2CR5 - but then you'd need two batteries for starters. And it ain't cheap (or worth it IMHO) - In the UK we can get 2CR5's (via Guernsey) fairly cheap, but I like vertical grips, and although it's a heavy beast - have either the PB-E1 or PB-E2 on the EOS 3.