EOS 2D - September 27.

lucien1

In the DPReview forum thread that Rob just provided a link to, Phil Askey himself, who probably has an NDA, made the outright comment that the info we're seeing on the Canon 2D is false. Whether that means they got one tiny spec. wrong (21MP instead of 22MP!?) or are totally making it up we don't know.

Not unrealistic at all. Canon has recently got into the habit of releasing cameras with twice the pixel count of competing Nikons shortly

after Nikon releases their product. A pixel density equivalent to the 20D would result in a FF camera of 20+ MP. The new Nikon D2H has a pixel

density higher than the 20D.

I'm sure it's not a EOS-2D with 22 MegaPixels. My reasoning is:

Phil Askey at www.dpreview.com says the info is incorrect.He doesn't

say this quite often, but when he does, it means.

Either there is no camera.

There is a camera,but it's not the EOS-2D/22 mpix as the French

Magazine cited.

I don't think Phil is confident that there is no camera because

Canon might not have given one for him to preview. They didn't let

out the Digital Rebel for preview and most of the online sites came

to know about it when it was announced including dpreview.com.

So I think Phil has a camera which is different from the rumored

one. Perhaps a 16.6 mpix one.

We'll know for sure within a couple of weeks. Anyway I don't think I

can afford it, but I'm sure interested in how the technology is

developing.

Hey, we know it's not going to be 22MP because that would be a bad marketing move for Canon. Tell you what they're gonna do, they'll release a 14-16 MP Camera for you to salivate over and buy. Then in two or three years time (depending on the competition) they'll release the 22MP camera, so you can buy that one. Why cut right to the chase and give you all the goodies all at once when they can milk you for two camera bodies.

Canon doesn't make billions by giving you the best, they make their money by giving you just enough to keep you interested (and parting with your money) and to keep slightly ahead of the competition.

Besides, why do we need 22MP, we're constantly told that 6-8MP is enough and beats 35mm and 11MP beats medium format?

I remember that a Canon rep, who introduced the 1Ds to a digital camera club meeting shortly after it was announced, mentioning that the 1Ds was going after the Medium Format market, confirming Michael Reichman's conclusion that the 1Ds rivalled MF in terms of resolution.

With Medium Format backs now reaching 16-25 megapixels its seems reasonable for Canon to introduce a 20+ megapixel model. I think that most people make the assumption that the 1Ds exists solely to compete with Nikon's high-end offering and expect it to be priced and judged as a 35mm camera.

Compared to a 22 megapixel MF system an $8000+ 1 series body with 20+ megapixels would be a steal. If I'm correct, then the direction of the MF market is the one to watch in order to figure out Canon's next move.

This is the nature of digital technology. Smaller, more convenient systems that are mass-marketed eventually displace larger systems from their traditional roles, much like we use personal computers as servers today, whereas a few years ago workstation and minicomputers were delegated that task.

Just my 2c.

And everyone is assuming it is an EOS and not Medium Format.

In most rumours there is usually an element of truth, in a lot of cases companies release info just to see what it will stir up in the marketplace. All I can say is that it is starting to get interesting, a jump to 22mp will shake the market up and will drop the prices of other 8mb cameras. Whilst being interesting, it is still a rumour but it does not stop you thinking about it. Probably will be a whole bunch of ef-s L IS lenses to come as well.

I'm wondering if the lenses have the quality to produce a 22 meg picture considering how much they have to produce that image. The whole lens lineup might have to be improved. A lady at the camera store said lens makers are starting to coat lenses the better old fashioned way again because of digital.

Relatively inexpensive 22 MP at this point could be a big blow to the MF digital backs. However, I hear that the 1Ds replacement is going to be 16 MP -- so that should compare with the long discontinued Kodak DCS Pro backs.

BTW, in another news item, Kodak has announced that they will be developing new sensors with IBM.

Good news all around I think -- more competition & products.

<cite>why should there be any EF-S L lenses?</cite>

<p>Canon has already demonstrated that they're not applying the L label to EF-S lenses. Until the 400/4 DO, any lens which contained fluorite, UD, super-UD, or certain types of aspherical elements got the label L. The 400/4 didn't, supposedly because Canon wanted to establish DO as a separate line (with a green ring instead of a red one) - although at the time of its release, Canon put out some marketing material which attached the letter L to it, and some still exists (Canon Canada's Web site says the 400/4 DO is an L lens, for instance). Which leads one to believe that there was a disagreement in the marketing department as to whether or not this lens would be called L DO or just DO, and that a final decision was probably not made until not long before the lens was announced, making the marketing folks rush through everything they'd prepared to take the letter L out, and they missed some (proofreading has never been a strong point in Canon USA's marketing department - they rarely release a brochure that lacks factual errors, and Canon USA's Web site has a long history of gaffes).</p>

<p>Now we have the 10-22 EF-S, which should, by their previous pattern, be an L lens - it has three aspherical elements (but, AFAIK, none which would qualify it for L status) and one super-UD lens (and every other lens Canon has ever released with S-UD has been an L). By way of comparison, the 17-40/4L also has three aspherical elements and one S-UD element. But the 10-22 isn't an L lens.</p>

<p>BTW, it would be surprising for Canon to release a replacement for the 1Ds and call it the 2-something - again, for marketing reasons. Canon has made a big deal for many years about their top-of-the-line pro bodies using the number 1. An EOS 2 would be a semi-pro body in most of the world, maybe even a prosumer body in Japan (where the Elan 7/EOS 30/33 was called the EOS 7).</p>

There is absolutely no reason to introduce a 22 mpix DSLR because no Canon lens has that kind of resolving power. Not even close. However, someone much wiser than I once offered that some "extra" pixels could be potentially added to an image sensor for error-detection/correction to lower the image noise.

So perhaps this is a case of 22 mpix "total" but with more like 11-16 mpix "effective" resolution, and much lower noise than anything else on the market.

Okay, I'm out on a limb, but if I'm right, remember that you heard it here first.