EOS 1V fans of the world, unite!

mark_pierlot

<p>I agree, with mild reservations. Though I have never used one, I think the F6 is shoulder to shoulder with the 1V. It all depends on the user interface, which one you prefer. Also, I gotta say that my T90 and 1V are so very similar that it's tough to pick a favorite.</p>

<p>I purchased a new-old-stock 1v body last year - never used until I had it in my hot little hands. I don't know what the brand new "street" price was when they were the thing to have for pros, but I know the full price here in Australia was a bit over $4000. I got my "new" example for $800, and it was worth every cent. I admit that I've never used any of Canon's competitors' equivalent cameras, but I can say that it's the best 35mm camera I've ever owned. I'm talking along the lines of a complete package - strength, quality, features, customisation ability, and on and on. I do have other high quality pro or advanced-amateur cameras that I equally enjoy using, but they're much older and are manual, so they don't compete head-to-head with the 1v. So here's a 1v fan uniting with a big "yes"!</p>

<p>I'm a <em><strong>HUGE</strong></em> 1v fan and I think it's definitely the best from Canon. I would have to agree that the F6 is probably shoulder to shoulder with it as Fred mentioned, although I've never even held one. As much as I enjoy other cameras<strong><em></em></strong> I always come back to the 1v as my favorite film camera (but the Nikon F100 has taken a firm and close second place). Aside from not auto exposing in Av for more than 30 seconds as Les has pointed out, it does everything right. And very quickly!</p>

• 5 years later...
<p>I haven't explored Canons yet (though the EOS 1V is certainly inviting) so I can't compare it against others that might be "the finest ...", but it would be a fun shoot-out with my Minolta Alpha (Maxxum) 9. Yes, Les, it does have a 1/12000 shutter, plus weather sealed, dials instead of buttons, 100% bright VF, eye-start, and a pop-up flash that also will control other flash units wirelessly. The 9 or the later Maxxum 7 were certainly the best (modern) cameras that Minolta made (IMHO).</p>

<p>A used Eos 1v is by far the best deal going right now on a top shelf 35mm film camera. They are literally giving them away and there is an endless supply from the Japanese used market. For personal reasons I generally prefer to shoot with a Nikon F4s (since I own more and better Nikon lenses than I do Canon) but if I only had my Eos 1V and a 50 f1.4 USM I'd be more than thrilled to go out shooting with it from now till kingdom come.<br>

I miss the old days of EOS film cameras and shooting 35mm slides. Feels like just yesterday. </p>

• 1 year later...
I have not seen one myself. Most likely never will given there are no camera stores about. However I am sure it's a great camera especially if you wish to have a fast operating camera. However It is not a camera that I would purchase because of the weight. Anyway it's a very nice camera but no thanks. . .

The 1V is still a little pricey for my acquisitions (typically in terms of equivalent value of pizzas), but I do have an EOS 1 and an EOS 1n (in a Kodak digital form).

Kodak-DCS-560-(Canon-EOS-1N)a.thumb.jpg.b16fec038ac776137f77fcfb5b4b13d4.jpg

They are certainly good cameras, but for the ultimate (for me) EOS film camera is still the EOS 3, even with the viewfinder size.

For non-AF cameras, the T90 is a spectacularly good camera to use, although mine developed the dread magnet freeze problem.