EOS 1DS hotshoe/flash problem and canon service

steve_hink

I have an EOS 1DS with 2 550EX speedlites and transmitter. When using either flash or

transmitter, I have to adjust the position of the flash on the hotshoe in order to make

contact. Usually turning the flash slightly the right or left, it will make contact. Sometimes

the camera will also display the fel icon and pre-fire the flash. Must be a camera hotshoe

problem since same thing happens with 3 units. Anyone else have an issue like this?

I plan to get serviced, but I need it back fast. Does anyone have canon service experience?

How long should it take and do they use fixed repair rates? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like the hotshoe retaining track has stretched loose/larger and thus you lack

sufficient

pressure on the contacts. You could remove the hotshoe and carefuly compress it with

wood blocks until the foot fits tighter. I wouldn't recommend banging the top of the

camera with a hammer, although that might work.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Steve,

I had exactly the same problem and ' Puppy Face's' solution worked perfectly!

The 580 & 550 would work fine (on the hotshoe, not wireless), but the ST-E2 wouldn't.

Turned out that the Hotshoe had expanded slightly and the ST-E2 has the loosest fit so

the small amount of play was just enough to screw the ST-E2 connection.

I unmounted the hotshoe assembly with a jewellers phillips scewdriver, squeezed medium

hard with a wooden block, remounted and hey presto, fully working wireless flash:-)

Hope it works for you.

Cheers;

Ivan

I've tried cleaning contacts ect.. I will have serviced. Does anyone know what Canon's flat

rate service fees are on a 1DS? I called and they are closed for the holiday. I have a good

local authorized canon repair shop near me, but just wondered if it might be cheaper to

send to Canon.

• 2 weeks later...