EOS 1D Mark II restricted on Canon Lenses?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by brent_bennett, Apr 20, 2011.

1. A friend who is a professional wedding and portrait photographer has an EOS 1D MarkII for sale (for $1000).
    It looks brand new, so I am considering it even though it is only 8 mp; he takes very good care of his cameras.
    I have heard that not all EOS lenses will work properly on this model. He has heard that only the L lenses will work on the 1D MarkII. Is that true?
    Thank You

2. No that is not true.
    All EF lenses will work on a 1D II.
    The lenses that will NOT work are EFS lenses (made for APS-C sensors only).

3. only the L lenses will work on the 1D MarkII​
    LOL
    No, not true, any EF lens will work. Only EF-S lenses do not.
    I looked at keh.com and the 1D mk II is going for around $975 in EX grade. So $1,000 might be a little high for a person-to-person sale, though it isn't outrageous.

4. "A friend who is a professional wedding and portrait photographer... He has heard that only the L lenses will work on the 1D MarkII..." Your friend is a pro yet doesn't know that his 1D2 works with all EF lenses?

5. A "professional wedding and portrait photographer" who thinks that only "L" series lenses can be used on a 1D MkII.
    What's wrong with this picture?

6. Maybe he has a few "lightly used" L optics on special...

7. No, all EF lenses will work. Only EF-S mount lenses will not work. Also, $1000 is too much for a 1D II. If its the 1D IIN, it may be worth almost $1000, but that's still a little high. The 1D IIN has a larger LCD screen, while the mark II has a small one. I bought a mint 1D II with a low shutter count for $650 about 6 months ago. If it's in great shape $700 may be a good deal but not much more. Also, check the number of shutter actuations. If he's a wedding photog it's likely he's taken a lot of photos. The shutter is rated to 200,000 clicks, but anything over 100,000 clicks is considered high. Even if he's a friend, unless he's going to offer a reasonable price, I'd look elsewhere for a better deal.

8. A "professional wedding and portrait photographer" who thinks that only "L" series lenses can be used on a 1D MkII.
    What's wrong with this picture?​
    +1!

9. All Canon EF lens will work with the 1DMkII. The EF-S lens will not work. L or non-L makes no difference.
    As far as your friend's asking price, I would rather pay someone I know and trust a little more than take a chance on a "better deal" from someone I don't know. The 1DMkII is an excellent performer. I have one that I no longer need but find myself picking it up and using it anyway. It will not be for sale any time soon as I believe it is permanently attached to my 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS lens.
    Al