EOS 10D / 60D

tails_

After debating long and hard I am about make the switch and go

digital, i currently use an EOS 33 and am looking at replacing it

with an EOS 10D, however the 60D has come down in price

substantially (sub £1000) and am now torn between the two.

I will save around £300 by opting for the 60D, is it really worth

spending the extra £300 for the 10D, considering it may also have a

shelf life of less than a year? As did the 60D.

It has taken ages to actually make the decision to go digital and

now that I have another dilemma!!!!!

Where is offering the best deals in the UK on these models?

Your help is much appreciated

Rob

The 10D solves a lot of shortcomings with the D60 such as focus issues, slightly faster operation, better picture review, better LCD screen, to name a few. Having said that, the D60 is a fine camera, I got one early on and used it for everything from weddings to newspaper work. I have since purchased a 10D, and now use the D60 right along side it. If you can afford the 10D, I would say get that model. Be aware that you will need other items to go along with it such as a dual battery grip, extra batteries, Compact Flash cards, etc. I also use the side strap on both cameras, it really helps in holding the camera.

Rob,

I'm looking at exactly the same situation right now - as a motorsport freelancer still using film (EOS 5 body though) I get some rather strange looks, but after having borrowed a 10D off a chap I work for (www.gforceimages.co.uk) I've decided to make the switch.

However, I'm going for the D60 rather than the 10D...

I've seen D60s advertised for sub £900 (but used) and that's what I'm going for rather than the 10D. With a budget of only £1000, buying a D60 still leaves some cash for the sundries such as spare batteries, flash cards etc...

With resale values still quite good as a result of high demand, I can use it for a year, recoup the full cost of the camera as a result of not having to fork out for film and processing in that time and then trade it in for the next one that Canon bring out.

The only problem is that there aren't many D60s floating around so you will have to do a little bit of hunting around. Mind you, if you need something fairly sharpish and don't need the speed or resolution of the D60 / 10D, there are a lot of clean, used D30s floating around for roughly £550-ish...

I picked up my 'almost' new 10D for £1000 exactly. Bought it second hand on ebay.co.uk - however MET the person and inspected the camera and receipts before handing over a single penny. There are lots of scammers on ebay so beware of anyone who refuses to meet up and exchange in person !

There are bargins around if you look hard enough...

I just bought a D60 for £999.99 brand new, it can only be described as superb, plus I have £300.00 spare, and when I come to sell it in a couple of years, I wont loose as much money as I would have done buying a 10D, and lets face it, Canon seem to have a policy of revamping an old model and getting even more of our hard earned money when we upgrade, the main gripe with D60 was focusing speed, but in my view its just fine and not worth a second thought.

As regards to my earlier post:

I have just come back from buying a D60, which cost me £870 used. It is in cracking condition, barely used, boxed with all the accessories. As a result, I've saved just under £400 on the cheapest deal I could find on a 10D, which was body only. Not bad, huh?

Bob - you can't be bad off trying Park Cameras in Haywards Heath (www.parkcameras.com) which is where I've eventually sourced mine from, based on the recommendation of a colleague. They get D60s in on a regular basis, mainly as PX's. They are an official Canon Digital dealer as well.

There is another issue: Besides low light autofocus, the 10D supposedly has a more robust body than the D60. HOWEVER, the argument of saving money and buying better glass is very, very sound. The glass, IMHO, will last longer than the body.

But don't look to me for advice: OH YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS: I bought the 10D for the EOS compatiblity, because I already had a EOS SLR kit.

But my old flash was A-TTL, not E-TTL, so I bought the 550EX.

But my 75-300 zoom was acting a bit flaky and was a bit soft at 300 anyway. . .so I bought a 70-200/4L.

But my 28-105 was perfectly good, but I felt the need for a bit wider lens, and I REALLY could see the difference between the 50/1.8 and the 28-105. . .so off I go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/. . .

So now the only component I walk around with from my old kit is the $70 50/1.8. . . . .

and I have so many raw files, I felt the need to buy a 50 pack of CD-R's . . .along with a new 180GB hard drive. . . .

Wasn't I smart? I must have saved $100 in film. . .