Entry into om-d line

justthings

I'm starting to consider the om-d system as a replacement for my dslr gear that was stolen recently, I want to go lighter and more

compact at this point. I haven't worked out yet which body appeals to me most - I could go for any of the e-m1 or e-m5 variants, but I'm mostly interested in deciding which lenses to put on whatever body I decide on. The 14-42 kit lens covers a decent range and seems good optically, but it's slow - what would be a good alternative that is faster? My interests are in landscapes, close ups (mostly nature subjects), architecture, and the ability to isolate subject from background, so recommendations of lenses with strengths in these areas would be helpful. I can see the 14-42 as a general walk around lens, and situations where maximum DoF is desirable, but would want both wider and longer options, and macro capabilities. I'm not concerned about specifying a budget just yet as all of this will come together piecemeal over the next year as I build up a new system. Appreciate your thoughts!

<p>If you want to stay light, even the E-M1 is a lightweight if you mount the small, fast primes on it. The 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, 25mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 are all very small, light and fast. The 60mm f2.8 Macro does 1:1 without any accessories and is sharp, and the 75mm f1.8 is probably the sharpest of all the Olympus Micro Four-Thirds line. Put them on an E-M5, either the original or the newest "II" version, and you've got a positively tiny outfit.</p>

<p>In 2012 I was in Paris with the older Pen E-P3, just as the original E-M5 was out, but had the 12mm f2 Zuiko, Panasonic 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8 Zuiko and was doing low light shots with ease in chateaus, the underground and some pretty dark churches.</p>

<p><a href="https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel/Paris-2012/">https://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel/Paris-2012/</a></p>

<p>I have probably 4-5 copies of the 14-42 in various bags in the closet, primarily throw-in's bought with bodies. Never use them. For one, 14mm (28mm equivalent focal length) is not as wide an option as I want if I am going to use a "standard" zoom, and I've found performance at 14mm often to be not all that great, putting it nicely.</p>

<p>Thanks for the observations Greg - have you any experience with the 12-40 that Olympus offers? That is considerably more expensive but offers a wider end that is appealing. I had been thinking a mid-range zoom supported by primes at wider and longer focal lengths might be one way to build out a system, but a long zoom or a UWA type (such as the 7-14) might be useful as well. </p>

I find my Olympus 12-40mm simply an excellent lens. Its sharp wide open, corner to corner and across the zoom range. It is as sharp or sharper than my 12 f2, 17 f1.8 and almost as sharp as the 45 f1.8.

Best standard zoom I ever used, but a bit large and heavy for m43.

Today I'm using the three f2.8 zooms. 12-40, 7-14 and 40-150 with the E-M1. Love it. It's no lightweight outfit by a far

shot. Certainly not compared to the primes, but they are certainly nice optics and paired with the E-M1 it's a pretty

powerful outfit.