enquiry sound in Auto focus when making videos lens efs17-55 efs ultrasonic?

srmdnadem

I don't know for sure, but it might be the sound of the IS working.

I have the following lense

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

is that sound normal please ? I am wating your answer

Edited by William Michael

I have the following lense

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

is that sound normal please ? I am wating your answer

I don't own this lens, so I don't know if it's normal, but like I mentioned before, my best guess is that sound is the IS (Image Stabilization) working.

Sometimes you can hear IS working when photographing, IS tries to stabilize the lens when moving and you move the camera in the video. For this reason I mentioned this possibility.

Maybe someone else who knows about video with this lens can tell if it''s normal.

• Like 1

I have used this lens and the noise seems consistent with the workings of the Image Stabilizer, but I have not used the lens for video, so I am unsure how much of that noise will be recorded by the Camera's Microphone when making a video.

I suggest that you make two test VIDEOS which will likely confirm the source of the noise :

> one with the Images Stabilizer turned OFF and the Auto Focus turned ON

> the second with the Auto Focus turned OFF and the Image Stabilizer turned ON

As to if this noise is "normal" - that's difficult to say because the video seems to be made in a very quiet location and it is assumed that you used the Camera's internal microphone to record the audio.

There are Audio Setting for the internal microphone and (for one example) if the Sound Recording Level were set to "Auto", then that could exacerbate (increase) the relative audio level of any noise caused by the lens's IS and/or AF movements when videoing in a very quiet room. Secondly we are unaware if any (unintended) post production has been performed on the Audio File – in simple terms we have no reference sound level.

A good test would be a comparative A/B test, side by side with another EF-S 17 to 55/2.8 IS USM.

WW

• Like 1

I have used this lens and the noise seems consistent with the workings of the Image Stabilizer, but I have not used the lens for video, so I am unsure how much of that noise will be recorded by the Camera's Microphone when making a video.

I suggest that you make two test VIDEOS which will likely confirm the source of the noise :

> one with the Images Stabilizer turned OFF and the Auto Focus turned ON

> the second with the Auto Focus turned OFF and the Image Stabilizer turned ON

As to if this noise is "normal" - that's difficult to say because the video seems to be made in a very quiet location and it is assumed that you used the Camera's internal microphone to record the audio.

There are Audio Setting for the internal microphone and (for one example) if the Sound Recording Level were set to "Auto", then that could exacerbate (increase) the relative audio level of any noise caused by the lens's IS and/or AF movements when videoing in a very quiet room. Secondly we are unaware if any (unintended) post production has been performed on the Audio File – in simple terms we have no reference sound level.

A good test would be a comparative A/B test, side by side with another EF-S 17 to 55/2.8 IS USM.

WW

I am very appreciated for your response, I will compare mine with another piece tomorrow. your answer was professional