Enhanced website

david_henderson

<p>Hi. I've been spending some time updating and enlarging my site. For those who are interested there's new galleries for architecture, graffiti, amd found landscapes. Altogether the site is 50% bigger which means over 200 new photographs , and nearly all galleries have more pictures.</p>

<p>Naturally I'd be delighted for some feedback, especially if you come across anything that doesn't look quite right . Thank you. </p>

<p>Very Nice! A lot of work went into that. As a programmer and the owner of a web design/hosting company for 7 years I can appreciate the amount of time that went into that. Nice Photos Too! You have clearly been doing this for a while. :)</p>

<p>The only thing that "bothered" me was the pixel gray and white background. I would go with just a flat GRAY color instead. What you have can be a little distracting. Personal preference is all.</p>

<p>Greg<br>

<a href="http://www.OwenImages.com">www.OwenImages.com</a></p>

<p>Thanks for the input so far. The typo is fixed I hope. Debbie, do you have a Broadband connection? I ask because my connection, delivering a rather unimpressive 1.4 mbps, loads a full page of thumbnails in under a second and nearly all the time the larger images are pretty much instant for me. Just trying to find out whether I have a general issue with image size/pixel count here . The people I most need to see the site will have decent broadband connections.</p>

<p>The mottled background is an interesting one. Its been with me a while across the last ten years worth of sites. I'll think on that.</p>

<p>I have little knowledge about the website optimization (SEO). Would suggest you to change the title of your site "David Henderson Photography" and use some Keywords that people search for in Google. This will help you rank in Google, the better ranking you have the more visitors you get, more visitors means more revenue. After all Google is the best way to reach the targeted customer.<br>

BTW, I like you site it simple and nice. Sorry to say, but the grey background (black text color) disturbed me while reading the post ;-( .<br>

-----------------------<br>

Leesa<br>

<a href="http://www.ray-lawler.com.au">Weeding Photographer Brisbane</a></p>

<p>Leesa</p>

<p>An interesting point but maybe you've jumped to the conclusions that I'm selling directly from the site or that the number of visitors is a key objective. Neither of those are true. The main purpose of the site is to act as a brochure of my work for people I refer to it- whether gallery directors, stock agency creatives, and so on. The second is to inform friends-photographic and otherwise and organisations like photographic societies what I've been up to. Both of these groups tend to be directed to the site, in much the same way that my web address is accessible from Photo.net.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>From my 21" crt on XP and Firefox, it looks like a very nice site design overall, and great images. Some of my following comments in another thread may apply to your site as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For me, the design of a gallery is *the* most important part of a photo site. My following comments are for a few other galleries in this forum. For examples, you can view these galleries in my recent posts.</p>

<p><em>There is no image count for a gallery or portfolio, before and after entering one. Once in a gallery or portfolio, there are no thumbnails, and no way to skip forward or backward. Designing a gallery this way is like handing someone a book and expecting him to read from cover to cover sequentially, without knowing how many pages and unable to flip forward or backward. Yes, my ego wants everyone to view every image in my gallery sequentially. But that's not typically how a gallery visitor behaves.</em></p>

<p>Some site designs take numerous clicks (from a home page) before an enlargement is displayed. I would leave after the first couple of clicks.</p>

<p>Testing a site is an important and integral step before paying for and launching a site. Yet it is often overlooked and seldom done extensively across different platforms, browsers, window sizes, etc. You would think that the web designers would include such testing as part of their service, and say so in their promotions. But few do. I would not hire one that does not do so.<br /> <br /> <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41252" target="_blank">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41252</a></p>

</blockquote>