Engagement Session In Central Park This Weekend Best Time?

mneace

<p>Shooting in Central Park for the first time. I am debating if I should shoot during the early afternoon, or between 6 and 8 to get some long angle of the sun. Anyone ever shoot in Central Park that could lend some ideas on this?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Manuel<br>

If you are able, scout out the location beforehand. At 8PM, it's pretty dark. There will be lots of shade and the buildings will cover the sunset. Your best bet is along the new Hudson Park on the far west side. There you will have lots of sunset light as the sun sets across the Hudson River. Central Park will still have plenty of light in the afternoon. Try the stone bridge in the southeast part of the park. And then the boat pond is nice. The fountain near the boat house is good, but it was under construction the last time I was there several weeks ago. This pond also has a great white bridge as well.</p>

<p>Bethesda fountain? wait, is it being repaired right now?<br>

Outside the Central Park zoo, those old iron images of the animals<br>

If Bethesda fountain is open, and you are shooting early big big shot of the two of them dancing from up above, though the crowds may not cooperate.<br>

Oh, the bridge by the boat pond, get those horizontal slats in the picture with the vertical of your clients.<br>

Oh, be careful if you decide brooklyn bridge, the transit authority clamps down on lots of photogs standing in once place to long. Keep a supply of your cards on hand should any cop ask you anything<br>

Remember there was that little incident in Times Square so everyone is watching everyone else.....hmm, that seems like a great marketing opportunity!<br>

Good Luck</p>

<p>Vic & Dan,</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. This will be only a 2 hour session and be limited mostly to the park area. No Hudson river and no Brooklyn Bridge (we'll get those shots the day of the wedding).</p>

<p>I was just in the park 2 Saturdays ago and the fountain was still under repair. But there are still a lot of places around there to shoot. And thank you Dan for the bridge shot suggestion. Will definitely get one of those.</p>

<p>I'm just trying to decide if it's best to shoot early morning, mid afternoon or around from like 5:30 to 7:30 8ish. </p>

<p>

<pVictor Ho, May 24, 2010; 08:02 p.m.</p>

<p >Manuel<br />If you are able, scout out the location beforehand. At 8PM, it's pretty dark. There will be lots of shade and the buildings will cover the sunset. Your best bet is along the new Hudson Park on the far west side. There you will have lots of sunset light as the sun sets across the Hudson River. Central Park will still have plenty of light in the afternoon. Try the stone bridge in the southeast part of the park. And then the boat pond is nice. The fountain near the boat house is good, but it was under construction the last time I was there several weeks ago. This pond also has a great white bridge as well.</p>

<p >Daniel McGarrity, May 24, 2010; 11:12 p.m.</p>

<p >Bethesda fountain? wait, is it being repaired right now?<br />Outside the Central Park zoo, those old iron <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00WX32#" target="_blank">images</a> of the animals<br />If Bethesda fountain is open, and you are shooting early big big shot of the two of them dancing from up above, though the crowds may not cooperate.<br />Oh, the bridge by the boat pond, get those horizontal slats in the <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00WX32#" target="_blank">picture</a> with the vertical of your clients.<br />Oh, be careful if you decide brooklyn bridge, the transit authority clamps down on lots of photogs standing in once place to long. Keep a <a href="http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00WX32#" target="_blank">supply</a> of your cards on hand should any cop ask you anything<br />Remember there was that little incident in Times Square so everyone is watching everyone else.....hmm, that seems like a great marketing opportunity!<br />Good Luck</p>

</p>

<p>The Angel of the Waters Fountain was <em>supposed to be </em>done with being renovated by this weekend, but don't count on it.</p>

<p>Bow Bridge and the Ladies' Pavilion are other options, as are Belvedere Castle and the Turtle Pond. The Delacorte Theatre has a beautiful Romeo and Juliet statue in front of it that serves as a nice backdrop. You're also right next to the Shakespeare Garden at that point (a personal favorite, since that's where I proposed to my wife!).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I just shot an engagement session in the SE corner of the park at 7:00am in the beginning of May. The light was great and there were less people around :) I've never seen The Mall so empty!<br>

Here's the blogpost:<br>

katebakerphotography.blogspot.com/2010/05/in-love-jk</p>