Embarrassing photo, how to tell the bride...

tony_cabrera

I did a wedding a couple of weeks ago. There were several images

where the groom dips the bride with really nice backgrounds of the

skyline (in Chicago). So I'm almost positive the bride will be

looking for these photos.

So the problem is, her boobs kept popping out everytime he dipped

her. And of course, this we didn't notice until we saw the photos on

the monitor. Do I just play dumb and say I don't have any to save her

from an embarrassing moment. If not, how do I break it to her?

You better make damn sure they get all of the prints and thenegs to. If you shot digital

scrub them from your computer. off to do a little retouching if they want it. This is

somethign yous hould have caught.

But don't play dumb, she probably remembers the moment very clearly and lying to a

client in circumstances like this is the worst policy. if you hide them and if she other

people a tthe party remember you taking the shots you'll have to dig yourself out of a

hole.

Well let me re-phrase that. Not "hide"... delete is more like it...

And it's really hard to catch a nipple popping out through a viewfinder when it's a quick dip. I have other things to worry about like exposure, I don't exactly look out for things like this to occur.

I'll just give her the files and let her do what she wants with it.

Give her the photos, just leave them out of any proof album. I'm sure the bride and her groom are familiar with the subject matter. As has been noted, just make sure no one else sees the photos and make sure they aren't left on a computer.

A few years ago, I shot a wedding image of a particularly slutty bridesmaid getting out of a limo. What I didn't notice until I got the proof back was that the bridemaid wasn't wearing panties and I got a dead on, fairly clinical view of her most private parts. I left the image out of the proof album, handed it to the bride in an envelop and we never spoke of the image again.

I'd put it in the category of slipage. But digitally fixing it makes the dress look awkward because she's stretched out so it makes the dress and her upper body look a lot longer if I cover it up. The proportions just don't look right.

I would give here all the origional files.......and as others here suggested, scrap any copies that you may have. I would politly explain the situation to her, hand them over to her and say "What would you like for me to do?". Do not put them in the album.

I don't find anything wrong in that. He is a professional photographer, so no one knows which clients he means. Plus, it is not as if something really bad has happened... just some skin that is inappropriate is shown. He doesn't reveal their names or their pictures.

I'd say give it to them fair and square and tell them that it can be retouched but results may not be great. It's all up to them. You just documented the day.

Michael - Even if this customer finds this post, I think they'll appredciate the fact that I'm seeking advice from other professionals. I'm not revealing names nor images so no harm no foul.

I'll be giving it to her in a separate package. I'm sure they'll be shocked at first but they will laugh about this a few months from now.

Thanks for the advice all!!!

"Even if this customer finds this post, I think they'll appredciate the fact that I'm seeking advice from other professionals. I'm not revealing names nor images so no harm no foul."

I agree. It is standard practice for professionals in various industries to seek feedback from other professionals on ethical and other issues of concern even online. (Not all responses are from pros but these are only comments anyway). It is possible that guests, in the unlikely event that they visited this site, might know of the shoot with the background that was described. Even then, no pictures are shown nor are there meaningful descriptions. There is no public embaressment. No harm is done.

Tony,

Could you post an example so we can make an informed decision? :) Just kidding. I shot a wedding several weeks ago, and the maid of honor was putting the garter on the bride; she was bending over, and I shot several frames, and when I reviewed the images, her breasts were fully visible (and I mean fully) in one shot. I just deleted that one out, because I had a couple that were great, but not so revealing.

Duane

If the bride is anything like most brides I've known these days, she will probably love the pictures. Just tell her, "Hey, a little more was revealed than we realized at the time.... Here they are, to do with as you see fit." Assure her that they are never going to see the light of day, from your end anyway. :)